Hello! and welcome to the OEGB thread.

Its actually two mamas and it looks like they are sharing the babies pretty well, do I need to give them medicated feed since they are with the mamas or just regular starter?

If they're brooding them on the floor or on the ground there's no need for them to have medicated starter. They'll acquire imunity to Coccidiosis naturally. I've never known of chicks broooded naturally to be affected by Cocci.

I read on another thread that the Silver and Golden Duckwing OEGBs can be sexed fairly accurately by color as day old chicks. Is this true, and are there any other varieties that can be sexed this way?
All the Duckwing varities can be sexed by the eye stripe at hatch.. Females have a very well defined eye stripe while th emales are more obscure or absent.

Nice Birds! Really beautiful type. I especially like Brown Reds. I think it's one of the most beautiful varieties.
Thank You NYReds, I have been using these same birds heavily with my Bichen and silver blue to improve feather quality and type. Here are some of my young Silver Blues from this year. You can see the nice hint of gold in the male since he too was bred from the Brown Reds.

If they're brooding them on the floor or on the ground there's no need for them to have medicated starter. They'll acquire imunity to Coccidiosis naturally. I've never known of chicks broooded naturally to be affected by Cocci.

Thanks, I was wondering if that may have killed the other two chicks but the four that are left seem to be doing fine

Did the two chicks that died look any different than the others? I had 2 broodys sharing chicks last year and one decided she did not like the 2 black chicks (no kidding, I was moritfied) She pecked at them every chance she got. I had to give those two to a third broody she did fine with them.

I just got my very first - well not my very very first (I raised two chicks for someone for two weeks then they were sold to that person) - Old English Game Bantams! I purchased 1 rooster and three hens. They were over an hour away and I'm so glad I was able to buy them - they are my latest show chickens!

Here they are:
Below: "Oatis" (fun name for him Oat-is, but pronounced the same as Otis)

Tada! They are the smallest chickens I've ever owed - they make my SERAMA HEN look big.

i wanna know what to cross to make brassy backs i would think a black over a gold duckwing but i aint sure ive also heard that blue reds dont breed true. is that a fact cause i got a ton of eggs in my incubator right now haha. and one more. they say you can put a spangled under a bbr rooster and it will pull some of the white out of her. ?? if any one knows this stuff please let me know

Did the two chicks that died look any different than the others? I had 2 broodys sharing chicks last yea.r and one decided she did not like the 2 black chicks (no kidding, I was moritfied) She pecked at them every chance she got. I had to give those two to a third broody she did fine with them.

The only difference was one was a runt, the other was one of the two with a light stripe on it's back and a gold color on it's head (maybe a roo) but no real difference

Back
Top Bottom