hello backyard chicken forum

cherdy

Hatching
Dec 10, 2015
victoria
I have 20 hens, 6 roosters and 9 ducks and a variety of other animals. I am new to this thread and look forward to being a part of your discusions.

Michael OShay

Crowing
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Montana
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You might want to consider re-homing some of your roosters. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and their hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens, over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard. In addition, hens that are less stressed by an over-abundance of roosters will lay better. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Hi and a warm welcome to BYC - I hope that you enjoy being part of our community.

Ct

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
Dec 12, 2013
Wyoming
welcome-byc.gif

x2 on Michael's comments re: roo to hen ratio. What breed of ducks to you have? If you haven't found it yet, there's a great forum for duck members on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with all your animals. It's nice to have you join us!

cherdy

Hatching
Dec 10, 2015
victoria
Haha, there sure is a lot of clucking and quacking especially when they hear my car pull up the drive. We have wonderful neighbours, thankfully !!!!

Top Bottom