hello backyard chicken forum

cherdy

Hatching
Dec 10, 2015
victoria
I have 20 hens, 6 roosters and 9 ducks and a variety of other animals. I am new to this thread and look forward to being a part of your discusions.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You might want to consider re-homing some of your roosters. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and their hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on your hens, over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. The only reason you really need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching and 1 rooster can easily handle 10-15 hens in that regard. In addition, hens that are less stressed by an over-abundance of roosters will lay better. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi and a warm welcome to BYC - I hope that you enjoy being part of our community.

Ct

welcome-byc.gif

x2 on Michael's comments re: roo to hen ratio. What breed of ducks to you have? If you haven't found it yet, there's a great forum for duck members on BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck with all your animals. It's nice to have you join us!

Haha, there sure is a lot of clucking and quacking especially when they hear my car pull up the drive. We have wonderful neighbours, thankfully !!!!

Back
Top Bottom