Hello BYC Community from NWArkansas

Nestew

Chirping
May 20, 2021
Hello to all the amazing people at BYC. I have been a long time reader and, now that I am starting my own flock, a new member!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am new to chicken personally but remember my grandmas flock of chickens and ducks as a child. Always wanted to have my own and now 30 years later - yay - got my own flock started in April 2021

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 14 that I got for egg laying. Unfortunately at least 5 are roosters. Won’t be getting many eggs from them I suspect. But hoping they are still tasty when big enough.

(3) What breeds do you have? I have 6 sapphire gems (from Atwood’s so questionable), 2 welsummers (both cockerels :(), 3 Barred Rocks, 1 Buff Brahma (I think), 1 Red star (maybe) and 1 Black Copper Maran (was marked as such in an assorted mix I got).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Having more self sufficiency was the plan. But really love just watching them. Bonus!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Starting a fairly large garden was another big undertaking this year. Put in 14 4x10 raised beds, an orchard and some other random things like some plots of corn.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. My husband and I just celebrated our 10 yr wedding anniversary. In addition to our new flock, we also have 3 children, a dog and two cats. We moved outside of town last fall when we all went work from home. I grew up on land outside of town but he is a city boy :) it’s an adventure everyday.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? Ever since I began researching owning chickens, BYC almost always came up on the search results or links from other articles. Clearly a huge wealth of information is here. I will spend a good deal of time surfing the site letting one post lead to another. Super happy to join in now and promise I will look for answers as much as possible before asking repeats :)

Attachments

• 8B31552B-E408-45F1-ADF9-435A276810A9.jpeg
    8B31552B-E408-45F1-ADF9-435A276810A9.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 6EF741ED-5EF0-44C7-ABD8-D8E8BC668315.jpeg
    6EF741ED-5EF0-44C7-ABD8-D8E8BC668315.jpeg
    921.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 31EC29BB-D1A0-4983-97F1-CA1614CA03C1.jpeg
    31EC29BB-D1A0-4983-97F1-CA1614CA03C1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • 850C4B4C-360F-480D-AFAB-A341F3CFE7C1.jpeg
    850C4B4C-360F-480D-AFAB-A341F3CFE7C1.jpeg
    708.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 179A5C36-EF0D-4303-BF76-6A0DAD07BC8C.jpeg
    179A5C36-EF0D-4303-BF76-6A0DAD07BC8C.jpeg
    397.4 KB · Views: 2
Hello to all the amazing people at BYC. I have been a long time reader and, now that I am starting my own flock, a new member!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am new to chicken personally but remember my grandmas flock of chickens and ducks as a child. Always wanted to have my own and now 30 years later - yay - got my own flock started in April 2021

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 14 that I got for egg laying. Unfortunately at least 5 are roosters. Won’t be getting many eggs from them I suspect. But hoping they are still tasty when big enough.

(3) What breeds do you have? I have 6 sapphire gems (from Atwood’s so questionable), 2 welsummers (both cockerels :(), 3 Barred Rocks, 1 Buff Brahma (I think), 1 Red star (maybe) and 1 Black Copper Maran (was marked as such in an assorted mix I got).

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Having more self sufficiency was the plan. But really love just watching them. Bonus!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Starting a fairly large garden was another big undertaking this year. Put in 14 4x10 raised beds, an orchard and some other random things like some plots of corn.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. My husband and I just celebrated our 10 yr wedding anniversary. In addition to our new flock, we also have 3 children, a dog and two cats. We moved outside of town last fall when we all went work from home. I grew up on land outside of town but he is a city boy :) it’s an adventure everyday.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? Ever since I began researching owning chickens, BYC almost always came up on the search results or links from other articles. Clearly a huge wealth of information is here. I will spend a good deal of time surfing the site letting one post lead to another. Super happy to join in now and promise I will look for answers as much as possible before asking repeats :)
Welcome to BYC! Wow the sunset ! Nice birds .:thumbsup:love

Back
Top Bottom