Hello BYC!

@DiYMama540 Every year we thought she would just fall over but it took a bluegum falling on her to do it. She only stopped laying at 14! And she was a total sweetheart, having been a very hands on pet since I was about 3. The last 6 or so years of her life she was in a specially built side coop attached to the main coop just for her and her babies, so that the rooster and younger hens wouldn't bother her. I do think she was totally blind for a while towards the end though, even without the full face covering afro she had, as she got a bit jumpy if you didn't tell her you were coming.

She also never stopped going broody, and would hatch anything you put under her. She once tried to hatch 40ish pekin duck eggs (the ducks kept putting more in even when we took some out), but only 5 hatched because she was way to small. That was a fun time, watching her desperatly trying to shepherd these ducklings as big as her away from the water.

@TwoCrows Yeah its scary. There was a really bad one here a few years ago in a more populated area that got the local DPAW (peeps who took care of the wildlife and national parks) to really get on top of it.

@DiYMama540 Every year we thought she would just fall over but it took a bluegum falling on her to do it. She only stopped laying at 14! And she was a total sweetheart, having been a very hands on pet since I was about 3. The last 6 or so years of her life she was in a specially built side coop attached to the main coop just for her and her babies, so that the rooster and younger hens wouldn't bother her. I do think she was totally blind for a while towards the end though, even without the full face covering afro she had, as she got a bit jumpy if you didn't tell her you were coming.

She also never stopped going broody, and would hatch anything you put under her. She once tried to hatch 40ish pekin duck eggs (the ducks kept putting more in even when we took some out), but only 5 hatched because she was way to small. That was a fun time, watching her desperatly trying to shepherd these ducklings as big as her away from the water.

@TwoCrows Yeah its scary. There was a really bad one here a few years ago in a more populated area that got the local DPAW (peeps who took care of the wildlife and national parks) to really get on top of it.
Years ago we lived through a horrible forest fire, we didn't evacuate because of all the poultry and livestock. The fire roared right over top of us as air tankers dropped slurry everywhere. Ash and embers fell like snow. Couldn't see the sky. We didn't sleep for 3 days as this monster threatened us. Incredibly terrifying!! :D

91m0EVklkKL._SX425_.jpg
:welcome :frow

Back
Top Bottom