Hello, BYC! :)

rmattise

Songster
7 Years
Mar 17, 2014
Pennsylvania
Hi, all from BYC. :)

I'm a little late in coming to BYC now, since I've been raising chickens small-scale for nearly six years now. Nonetheless, I'm extremely happy to finally become a member, and to be able to share my love of chickens with others.

Throughout the years, I've mostly gotten my birds from hatcheries (mainly MPC), as well as other chicken owners. I've been very happy with them, and have had no complaints. Now, though, I'm looking forward to enjoying the benefits of quality that comes with getting birds from other small farm owners.

I absolutely love raising young birds, so one of my favorite things to do is to purchase young birds or eggs, raise them carefully and with loving care, and sell them later on (usually at a half a year to a year of age) fully socialized, loved, friendly, and family-friendly.

I've had experience with these breeds:

Delaware
Australorp
Polish
Cochin
Easter Egger
Hamburg
Wyandotte
Brahma
Orpington
Ameraucana
Sebright
Marans
Leghorn
Sussex
Campine
Andalusian
Buttercup
Sumatra
Cornish
Plymouth Rock

...I think that's all. :)

Out of all the breeds I've worked with, I've been most fascinated and captivated by the Hamburgs. They're beautiful, proud, intelligent, and economical to boot - and when they're raised right, they can be the most cuddly bird in the flock. My golden spangled rooster would crawl into my lap for attention whenever I went out to the coop to visit. My silver spangled hen, though I got her at about a year and a half of age, wasn't as attention-seeking as a result - was the gentlest bird you'd ever have met, and provided me with large, white eggs well into five years of age. Both of them were some of the most beautiful and eye-catching out of all the birds I've raised, and both of them - of the two times I won best-in-class at shows, both times it was one of my Hamburgs.

Interestingly enough, though, out of the three years I showed, my Hamburgs were the only ones present. I don't know if that's a coincidence or not, but from what I've seen, Hamburgs seem to be very underrepresented as a breed. I've found no recent adds about them on BYC, either.

Who else here has, or has had, Hamburgs? Have you had good or bad experiences with them? And what other breeds have captured your heart?

Welcome to BYC. As a kid I had both silver spangled Hamburg large fowl and bantams. They are striking birds indeed. In the search at at the top of the page conduct a search on golden and silver spangled Hamburgs. Several threads should appear.

images

Welcome to BYC!

I have never kept this breed but have seen pics of these birds and they are very pretty birds! Here is a thread on Hamburgs that you might want to join in on....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/379031/hamburg-thread

You sure have had lots of great breeds of chickens! I wish I had that much room to keep so many different breeds. Welcome to our flock and enjoy yours!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Hamburgs are nice birds, sounds like you've had good success at the shows with them. Don't really know about their popularity, guess they are rather small and active for most people as well as they can fly. I've had ones as pets/egg layers, Spangled & Silver & Gold Penciled mostly from SandHill. There are threads on them in the Breeds section, this is the longest one https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/379031/hamburg-thread you might like.

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

Back
Top Bottom