Hello!!! Chicken newbie!!

luluvantuckett

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
East Texas
Howdy there!
I'm VERY new to chickens. My husband and I just adopted two Leghorns from our local humane society a few days ago. We spent the last two nights building a coop while our dog guarded the girls.
We have a fenced in back yard and built a moveable 10'x10' A frame coop. I did the research on how to make the coop safe for them and put a layer of hardware cloth around the bottom. We put sheet metal under the bottom. We still have some work to do on it. I don't think they like their perch.

We named them Camilla and Carla. I think they're overweight. And I have no idea how old they are.

They were brought to the humane society over a month ago as an owner surrender because they were "not performing their duties sufficiently." Which I guess they weren't laying as many eggs as their owner had liked. They did lay eggs at the shelter so they are producing... even in that stressful environment. They haven't laid any here yet. We wanted them for pets and for eggs. We love them both already. They love our fig tree when I let them roam the yard.
I've been doing research but I will still have a lot of questions. I'll try to find answers through existing posts... but I'll probably have many posts. If anyone sees anything in my photos that needs to be brought to my attention please do so.

Glad to join the community!
-Lulu

Last edited:
Love your avatar, what kind of chicken guarding dog do you have, seems serious about his work. Welcome to Backyard chickens

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I don't know if it is on my end or not, but I can't see any of your pics. :-( BUT....Congrats on that first egg!!!!! How EGG-citing!!!!!!
celebrate.gif

Looks like the chickens have taken over the dog house. Ha! Enjoy all your babies and welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Congratulations on the first egg!

Back
Top Bottom