Hello!!! Chicken newbie!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by luluvantuckett, Oct 1, 2014.

1. luluvantuckett

luluvantuckett Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2014
    East Texas
    Howdy there!
    I'm VERY new to chickens. My husband and I just adopted two Leghorns from our local humane society a few days ago. We spent the last two nights building a coop while our dog guarded the girls. [​IMG]We have a fenced in back yard and built a moveable 10'x10' A frame coop. I did the research on how to make the coop safe for them and put a layer of hardware cloth around the bottom. We put sheet metal under the bottom. We still have some work to do on it. I don't think they like their perch. [​IMG]

We named them Camilla and Carla. I think they're overweight. And I have no idea how old they are.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They were brought to the humane society over a month ago as an owner surrender because they were "not performing their duties sufficiently." Which I guess they weren't laying as many eggs as their owner had liked. They did lay eggs at the shelter so they are producing... even in that stressful environment. They haven't laid any here yet. We wanted them for pets and for eggs. We love them both already. They love our fig tree when I let them roam the yard.
    I've been doing research but I will still have a lot of questions. I'll try to find answers through existing posts... but I'll probably have many posts. If anyone sees anything in my photos that needs to be brought to my attention please do so.

Glad to join the community!
    -Lulu

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Love your avatar, what kind of chicken guarding dog do you have, seems serious about his work. Welcome to Backyard chickens

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

4. luluvantuckett

Oct 1, 2014
    East Texas
    Thanks! That's Juniper. She's a beagle/schnauzer mix. She's obsessed with them. She won't let the poodle/chihuahua near them.

5. luluvantuckett

Oct 1, 2014
    East Texas
    I JUST FOUND MY FIRST EGG!!!!!!! WHOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I don't know if it is on my end or not, but I can't see any of your pics. :-( BUT....Congrats on that first egg!!!!! How EGG-citing!!!!!! [​IMG]

Looks like the chickens have taken over the dog house. Ha! Enjoy all your babies and welcome to our flock!

1 person likes this.
  7. luluvantuckett

Oct 1, 2014
    East Texas
    And I wonder why my pics aren't showing up....? Hmmmmmm

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Congratulations on that first egg! :ya May they lay many more for you!
    Love the picture of the dog watching the chickens in the doghouse! Here is an article on putting up pictures, it also seems like you need 10 posts before it works sometimes https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/inserting-pics-in-on-the-new-byc

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

Congratulations on the first egg!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Good luck with your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by