Hello Chicken People

MomToAll

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I got my first chickens about 14 years ago. We had them for several years until a neighbor's dog killed about a dozen of them. I sold the rest of them to save their lives and us the heartbreak, and was chicken-less for about 7 years. The neighbors moved (and the dog died ((of natural causes)) ), so we've been back in the chicken business for about 3 years.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
At the moment, I have 11. I have 25 chicks being delivered the first week of May. I plan on giving a few of these to my sister after they've gotten a bit bigger. She's been wanting to get started and just needs a gentle nudge.

(3) What breeds do you have?
White leghorns, Rhode Island Reds, a Black Star and an Australorp. The new chicks on the way will add some variety. Going back with some Auracaunas because the kids love the colored eggs, Barred Rocks, Blue Andalusians, and a Silver leghorn rooster. (My son's request)

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
Destiny. I really don't know how I found the facebook page but I really enjoy it, so, I had to make the leap to the webpage.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I'm a wannabe photographer. My dad was one back in the 50's and 60's, so I think it's in my blood. He gave me a 110 camera when I was in middle school and I took lots of pictures when I worked at the zoo. Every once in a while I look at them and I'm amazed that I took them at 13 years old with a 110.
I'm trying to grow a garden, we'll see how that goes. My boys all play sports, so I spend a lot of time at various sports parks. I bet I could set a world record for attending the most sporting events in a lifetime. I've had kids in sports for 21 years now. Between, kids, animals, gardening, and general upkeep, there's not a lot of time left over. I'm a quick reader though, and I'll manage to read a book every now and then. I read Water for Elephants today. Very interesting story.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have 6 children. Yes, they're all mine. Yes, they're all from my one and only husband. Yes, I'm old enough to have 6 kids.
My oldest boy, 24 is on the dean's list in Medical School, is married, has a 4 year old and another on the way.
My oldest daughter, 22, also on the dean's list, will graduate with her bachelor's in May and is getting married this weekend.
Next daughter will be 21 next week, has a 2 year old son, and is just finishing her 2nd year in college. (on the dean's list)
Next son turned 18 last week. Just finished school and is working for the summer and trying to figure out what he's going to do. Natural athlete and teacher.
Child #5 is my 13 year old son. Soccer player extraordinaire and film maker. Best uncle ever.
#6 is the sweetest child ever. 9 year old boy. OMG, he's so good. Has also been ranked as one of the best writers and artists in his school.
Just to make sure I don't have any free time, my daughter and her 2 year old live with us and I babysit while his mom is at school. He's a wild little country boy.

Add to that the 3 dogs, 2 cats, chickens and a rabbit and we've got a full house. My daugter begs for a cow or pig, but I'm holding my ground. Whenever they ask for something else that breathes, usually livestock or 200 lb dogs, I tell them that right when they move out I'll bring them one to their new house.

I'm also a pet groomer and have a grooming shop at my home and I groom in a vet's office one day a week.

Well, that's more than anyone probably ever wanted to know. I don't get out a lot. Sorry.

Hello
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Hesperia,Ca
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif

You sound like me right down to the 6 kids, but have 4 stepkids and had 4 stepkids so they're still mine.

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from California

Back
Top Bottom