Hello :D

I tried raising guineas and released them before they were ready. If your flock of guineas wants to return to the barn like mine did open the barn door and let them in, I made the mistake of forcing them to stay out at night only to have every one disappear.

Oh mine are trained to go back into the coop with treats. I leave my "chicken door" open all the time when I am out there so they can run in and out. Sadly Eenie disappeared when I ran inside for a bit. Poor judgement on my part, I learned that the hard way. Had I thought I could have made the dog stay and maybe, just maybe that would have prevented it. Hindsight 20/20. They won't be allowed to roost outside at night, I plan to keep getting them to go back to the coop by rewarding them with fresh fruits and veggies or meal worms, so far so good.

Those are cute names. I named our first three Easter eggers after the Dixie Chicks (Emily, Martie & Natalie). Ours are free rangers, and unfortunately Emily walked into the mouth of a neighbor dog when she was too little to know better. Martie & Natalie are still with us after 18 months, and Natalie is the proud mother hen of a couple of peeps.

Ahh bless we are going to see next year if there is someone near to us with a cockrel and let one of ours have chicks not sure who the lucky chicken will be yet but cant wait to have chicks.Did yours sit on her eggs or did u have to do it yourself ?

This was a natural childbirth, so to speak. Natalie was very sneaky and sat on the eggs under our neighbor's back porch. We didn't even know until after the chicks had hatched. My neighbor said she saw more than two pairs of eyes under there, but by the time the mom was ready to bring them back over to our place, there were only two. They're about 3 1/2 months old now, and one appears to be a cockerel.

Ty
smile.png

Welcome! Eating healthier is the reason we got into raising (maybe trying to raise would be better suited. haha) chickens. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom