Hello duck people,

Quick snake story... and I mean quick.. because I shouldn't be sitting here but getting the stuffed shells ready for dinner with my parents at 5.... but alas... here I sit. LOL Ok real quick..

If I can still be ok with snakes after this.... well anyone can...

Our youngest daughter was playing at a friends house on Mothers Day just passed.... their cat ran into the garden and my daughter runs after it.. puts her right hand on the cat, and her left hand on the ground to balance herself... right on a baby copperhead which bites her on the left index finger. Long story short.... 24 vials ( 6 bags) of Anti venom, a 2 day stay in the PICU at Gerogetown University Hospital ( 2 hours away from our home may I add) and she's fine. ( she probably would have been fine without all that but ya never know) She still has no feeling n the fingers where she was bit.... but she's fine. And guess what.... she still loves snakes like her daddy. Wise for her 12 years tells me that it wasn't the snakes fault. It was just doing what snakes do. LOL

Heres her finger less than an hour after the bite...

35720_bres_snake_bite.jpg

And heres snakeman with one of his black snake "catches" he enjoys so much. lol

35720_snake1.jpg

And here's some piglets begging for treats.. just because I think its too cute. LOL
35720_lured_out.jpg

Mystic - wow great daughter you have! I am glad she still has her love and enthusiasm for snakes and doesnt hate or fear them. I've been bitten by many a snake - large and small - and one venomous - a baby copper head as well - but that was just a few years ago - I was 17 at the time - and I'm a big girl
wink.png
so I decided not to immediately go to the hospital - which was good cause obvious the little guy only pumped a tiny bit of venom in - my foot swelled up a bit and got the bruised look in the area of the bite - but that was it. I do from time to time get this funny tingly sensation in my foot right there though.

The worst bite I ever recieved was when I was 15 and helping the guys at the petstore 30 miles from here (at time the nearest one for me and the only place I could buy snake food and accessories/needs) I helped them feed their burmese pythons - drag them out of their large room (these snakes were pets/rescues they kept at their shop) and well there were 3 of them and one hadn't eaten the last 2 feedings (every 3 weeks) so knew when we drug him out - what was up and upon putting him down in the feeding room (bathroom - lol) he turned around in expectance and my leg was in the way and I got snagged. This was the owner's son's fault because he brought the food around before we got the snake in the tub and us out of the way - and the snake smelled the food and well I was in the way. - he didn't try to constrict or anything but when he bit he tried to retrack - well he was on a round calf - so his teeth got stuck. So it took us a few minutes of delicate work to untangle him and his teeth out of my flesh without hurting me or him. Did I mention this snake was 13 ft long? Sheesh - I about killed Danny ( the stupid boy who was older than me - he was 18!!! and the owner's son!!!!) I have faint scaring on my leg from the bite - but it wasn't too horrible considering - just cleaned it up really well and rulled a bandage around it. - needless to say Jamie (owner and Danny's dad) felt so bad about it I got a free baby boa, set up, and 3 months of free snake food for all my 8 snakes - lol.

Snakes do what they do - if they are scared, injured, or a large snake if YOU make a mistake when it comes to feeding its YOUR fault not theirs.

With the baby copper head your daughter had scared it and being little their instincts are to bite first and retreat. Adult copperheads are typically very hard to get to bite - they much prefer the puff up - and if that doesn't work head for the hills. I'm glad your daughter held no ill will towards snakes for understanding the snake was defendingn itself when it was frightened by her and the cat.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom