hello everyone

srmsem

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2016
HI, I am new to the chicken scene, but I'm super excited! I got 4 hens Saturday a barred rock, black sex link, wellsummer, and a buff orpington. I can't wait to get more girls to add to my flock!

Welcome to BYC! So glad you could join!
smile.png

Those are some pretty girls! Congrats on getting them!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, make comments, post pictures (we love pictures) and just enjoy yourself. We love to help in any way we can and we also love to chat about our chooks.

Best of luck with your flock!
thumbsup.gif

welcome-byc.gif
some people are into having fomented feed for their flock. You should be able to find threads on this by putting "fomented feed," in the search box.

Hi, welcome and congrats on your new flock. Making your own food only becomes financially viable with large flocks in my vicarious experience and to do it responsibly would involve having your food mix analysed to ensure that all essential nutrients etc are present. The benefit of a proprietary feed is that you can be assured that they are getting an appropriate diet. Thats much my view - others i am sure have different approaches.

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

I personally feel more comfortable using a commercially prepared feed, rather than trying to come up with the perfect blend on my own that will ensure my girls get the proper nutrition. However, just like so many other things, everyone has their own way of doing things and you may find others that prefer to mix their own feed. Try doing a search using the Search feature in the upper left corner (under the logo) or asking about homemade feeds on this forum:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/12/feeding-watering-your-flock

You will probably find several opinions and possibly "recipes" for making your own.

Good luck to you, thanks for joining us!

Making food at home is fun, though it can be complicated. If you do so make sure your hens have access to forage, since this helps them naturally balance out any missing nutrients they may have in the diet.

If you are worried about not making the proper food you could try one of the healthier diets out there. I personally do not like the commercial foods I buy either, but right now we don't have the money for anything else so I just do my best to provide them fresh treats and forage to give them some variety and fun. They love scrambled eggs, insects, squash and fruit.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom