hello everyone

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC. You have some beautiful chickens! :)

Thank you. I'm loving every minute of this! I can't wait to get more birds!

I've done it! I got 2 more wellsummers! I'm loving this! I was worried I wouldn't get enough eggs, but I got 2 dozen in a week, so I think they are doing good. Is there any benefits to having a rooster other than fertilization? Not sure I'm ready for a rooster yet.

When you mentioned tiny hard-boiled eggs I couldn't help but share this. We had zebra finches a few years ago and they would not stop laying eggs and trying to hatch them, no matter what. We were trying to cut down on the number of eggs, so we cooked some of them.

Here is a hard-boiled egg

And a fried egg. So cute!
big_smile.png

Not sure if you can see the spots, but this is from a wellsummer. The spots are grey, shouldn't they be dark brown? Worried about the girls. Don't want anything to be wrong.

Not sure if you can see the spots, but this is from a wellsummer. The spots are grey, shouldn't they be dark brown? Worried about the girls. Don't want anything to be wrong.

Don't worry, speckles on eggs are normal, including light speckles. It depends on the individual hen, the strain, breed, blood-lines, ect to what the coloration will end up being. Welsummers are suppose to have dark eggs but sometimes when not selected for it a strain of that breed may begin to lay lighter eggs.

Back
Top Bottom