Hello everyone!

LadyBirb

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I got my first chickens a year ago last Easter; they were a grab bag of misfits from my daughter's class (they hatched eggs in class, and those of us foolhardy/softhearted enough adopted them). Three out of four of the little beggars were roosters, and we re-homed them at a nearby petting zoo. But by then I was hooked, so we adopted two more chicks (sexed this time!), and now have a mini flock of three hens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Three. I need a fourth to round that out...

(3) What breeds do you have?
Two Azure Blues and one small black olive egger; she was one of the classroom chickens so we're not too sure about her parentage.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
They give me a reason to get out of bed and get on with my day early, and somehow that makes the whole day run more smoothly.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I write and self-publish books; sew (I prefer quilting but for months now all I've done are face masks); do volunteer work...

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have two children, a patient husband, three dogs, and two tortoises. I'm a stay-at-home mom right now, but I used to work in home healthcare.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
Someone at my children's school suggested BYC to me back when we adopted our first chicks, and I finally joined because there aren't a lot of chicken people in my area (there are a few, but most are relative newbies like myself), so I thought it would be nice to have more people to talk to.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I got my first chickens a year ago last Easter; they were a grab bag of misfits from my daughter's class (they hatched eggs in class, and those of us foolhardy/softhearted enough adopted them). Three out of four of the little beggars were roosters, and we re-homed them at a nearby petting zoo. But by then I was hooked, so we adopted two more chicks (sexed this time!), and now have a mini flock of three hens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Three. I need a fourth to round that out...

(3) What breeds do you have? Two Azure Blues and one small black olive egger; she was one of the classroom chickens so we're not too sure about her parentage.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? They give me a reason to get out of bed and get on with my day early, and somehow that makes the whole day run more smoothly.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I write and self-publish books; sew (I prefer quilting but for months now all I've done are face masks); do volunteer work...

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have two children, a patient husband, three dogs, and two tortoises. I'm a stay-at-home mom right now, but I used to work in home healthcare.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? Someone at my children's school suggested BYC to me back when we adopted our first chicks, and I finally joined because there aren't a lot of chicken people in my area (there are a few, but most are relative newbies like myself), so I thought it would be nice to have more people to talk to.

Attachments

• welcome2.jpg
    welcome2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom