Hello everyone!

michellev71

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2021
New member here with 11 chickens. I have Wellsummers, Buff Brahmas, Blue Cochins, Sapphire Gems, and Silkies. I got into chickens with my daughter to give her something to do on the weekends along with growing plants. We intend to show both plants and chickens at our county fair next year. The trouble is that our silkies feet are no longer white and are dingy. I have tried soaking them for a half hour, and scrubbing with a toothbrush. Nothing works and I am getting very discouraged that they will never be white again. I've read about peroxide, diluting bleach, purple horse shampoo and how not to bathe too often. What can I do to get these feet show worthy?

New member here with 11 chickens. I have Wellsummers, Buff Brahmas, Blue Cochins, Sapphire Gems, and Silkies. I got into chickens with my daughter to give her something to do on the weekends along with growing plants. We intend to show both plants and chickens at our county fair next year. The trouble is that our silkies feet are no longer white and are dingy. I have tried soaking them for a half hour, and scrubbing with a toothbrush. Nothing works and I am getting very discouraged that they will never be white again. I've read about peroxide, diluting bleach, purple horse shampoo and how not to bathe too often. What can I do to get these feet show worthy?
Welcome!!!

For most feathered feet birds (Silkies, Cochins, etc.), it is best to keep their area dry. I know some people use wood pellets or something else to keep the ground dry, but I personally don't deal with that, so I will let others jump in and give more advice.

1638916493594.png

https://silkie.org/silkies-for-show...ng to a show,that are kept meticulously clean.

:welcome :frow I show my birds at poultry shows. I show my White Leghorns and my Rhode Island Whites. They are clean legged birds so I can't help with the leg feathers. I do use the silver brightening shampoo but usually mix it with other shampoo. After the shows when I bring the birds home and put them back into their coops they are noticeably whiter than the other birds. You will find a lot of good information here BYCArticles.jpg Good luck with your birds and plans and have fun...
I put the shampoo directly in the water for the bath in the first tub and plain water with distilled vinegar to cut the shampoo in the second tub and plain water for a final rinse in the third tub. I dry them and wrap them up like a burrito to work on their heads, combs, wattles, legs and feet. Then into a cage to dry. On the silkies a blow dryer works well. I sometimes blow the birds dry. Good luck...
2014-10-23 16.06.07.jpg
2014-10-23 16.06.28.jpg
IMG_20151022_133205.jpg
IMG_20151022_133853.jpg

Back
Top Bottom