1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sumi, Jun 29, 2011.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    So glad I found this site, love your pictures and posts. It's nice to be able to talk to like-minded people. I have 61 chickens of assorted breeds at the moment and I'm selling free range eggs. Started with this when I was unable to get any nice "happy" eggs anywhere. HATE batteries, think they are the worst chicken related invention ever. Am now converting others to go the free range route. Everyone loves the eggs and seeing my girls running loose. The idea really took off in our town and we now have 6 farmers keeping free range hens and selling eggs. It's amazing!
    I'm waiting for a local battery farm to sell their "spent" hens, going to buy 40 and rehabilitate them. That will happen any day now, can't wait. Any advice would be welcome!

2. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Quote:[​IMG] from Australia.
    I totally agree with you on this point. When I read about what happens to the hens on those farms, it's just terrible! The things people will do for money [​IMG]
    Ever since our hens have started laying, we haven't had to buy a single egg from the supermarket [​IMG]

I would love to rehabilitate too, but I don't know any battery farms near where I am, so sorry I have no advice for you there.

Hope to see you more around the forum! I know how much people appreciate free range eggs [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hi Liz, thanx for your message. I found our battery farm via word of mouth, but you could also look in the telephone directory or even on egg boxes for numbers of your local battery farms. Or just ask around. It's standard practice to throw out hens that doesn't lay enough anymore, though they still lay fairly well. They usually end up getting culled, what a sad end to a horrible life. I must warn you, if you want to give it a go, you may find the hens have been de-beaked. That makes feeding them a challenge. I make a porridge with maize and lay pellets which I put in bowls for them, otherwise they battle to eat. It's not the easiest way to increase the flock, but it's very rewarding!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. FiveAcres

FiveAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    White, GA
    [​IMG] from NW Georgia!! We are glad to have you here!! Know that any questions you have are just a post away from getting numerous responses!!

6. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Welcome, this is a great place. you will enjoy BYC.

7. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

8. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

10. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    [​IMG] from NW Washington State! [​IMG] Glad you could make it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by