Hello Everyone!!

vagabond

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
I just found this site and am so excited to get answers. I have a white silkie hen (which in my opinion has the best disposition of any chicken ever) and a black frizzle, not sure what he was mixed with to be a frizzle but he has regular chicken feathers that are frizzled and feathered feet so I think Cochran.

Anyway, I hatched some of their eggs and to my surprise ended up with 16 bitties. I was hoping for the silkie type feathers with some frizzle. I have come to learn that is hard to come by however. I have 10 that are a kind of white/black swirl color with yellow beaks and black feet, and 6 black with white butts and black beaks and black feet, some have one white toe on each foot. Some are getting frizzled wings but I don't think any are going to have silkie hair. I read that since the mother is a silkie then all the males will have dark skin and females will have regular yellow skin. But all of mine have black skin, the light colored chicks do have yellow beaks but their feet and skin is black. So are all my chicks roosters? Are the light colored ones with yellow beaks female and the black ones male or viceversa? They can't all 16 be male can they??

HI,and welcome to byc the best chicken page ur even gonna find..Congrats to ur chick for hatching succefully..let me clear up ur question first,but firstly let me tell u that im no expert,but iv been around with chicken for quite a year and spent almost my time wahcting them,so my answer is No there wont be 16 male,i have male gallus that mated with female brown chicken(complete brown)..so she hatch all her 5 egg 2 black and 3 brown,well i thought both the black are male since their daddy black,and the brown are female now thev grown up and one of the black one is female and the one of the brown is male..LOL..and the black one when they were a baby they had a black leg...its between genetics i guess the stronger one dominates the colour(sometime their colour just go random)..sometimes its the female and sometime is the male...and since both of em is silkie then all of em probably has black leg..same goes to my cochin....i would insanely suprise if all 16 of em are male..since silkie are mostly white an im guessing ur white too...then is hard to tell male and female even if there at teens age..cause most chicken other than one coloured chicken grow their crown feather and waterfall feather at age of teens...and again i said im no expert..i dont even have a silkie chicken lol...

Thanks. I really couldn't believe they would ALL be male but the more I learn the less I understand. Only the mother is a silkie, the father is a frizzled Cochran. They are all pretty similar yet all very different, all have black skin but some have 4 toes some 5, some yellow beaks some black. Sadly, they seem to have their father's temperment ( a little spastic) I am hoping they grow out of it LOL.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Those chicks sound really pretty! It will be interesting to see what they grow into.

Thanks everyone. I will try to put some pics up later today. I love them all already. I am going to have to narrow it down a little though, my yard is not big enough for 18 chickens so I will be giving some to good homes.

I have a million more questions, so glad I found you guys.

Back
Top Bottom