Hello Everyone

big clucker

Hatching
May 6, 2015
Bunker Hill WV.
Im new to the site, just wanted to say hi to everyone. Although I grew up with chickens at my Grandfathers , im new to raising them myself. So im sure I'll have lots of questions lol.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
Make yourself at home and feel free to ask any questions.

Thank you. I bought my fiance' 4 silkies as one of her xmas gifts. 2 have died. The roo and other hen are fine. Also got her 2 Pekin ducks for Easter all get along fine , the hen thinks shes a duck I think, she gets in the pool with the 2 ducks who are 1 month old now lol. Fyi... we got our silkies from a breeder in Inwood WV. Buyers be ware!!!... I'd like to get more chickens, just not from her...

Sorry to hear of your losses. I hope the next ones you get fare better. I recommend quarantining new birds for a few weeks before you put them with your current flock just to be safe. You never know what birds have been exposed to sadly.

Learning as we go. I think there was something wrong with them from the start. My fiance' treats them like children lol. They were in our basement all winter. The roo crows alot! The hen we have left thinks she's a duck and gets in the pool with our two ducklings, I never seen or heard of such a thing. They are definately intertaining...

They sound so sweet :) The closes mine have come to "swimming with ducks" would be to drink out of their pond haha

I believe you when you say there may have been something wrong from the start. From our very first batch we only have two left. All the hens came up with the same symptoms and no matter what I tried they died. I tube fed, took them to the vet, gave them all sorts of medicines, but their bodies just weren't right. Most passed by 18 months. We had let our hatch out a few and one came from those lines (before we knew what was going on) and the little pullet passed away about a month ago. (sorry started a ramble here)

But I agree you should avoid getting any more from that particular place. Better safe than sorry.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I fell in love with chickens thanks to my grandparents too! Never would have chickens if it weren't for them and their farm overflowing with birds. We are glad to have you! Good luck with your new flock and feel free to ask any questions. You should check out our learning center for helpful insight on raising chickens. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Sorry for your loss, unfortunately a lot of unscrupulous sellers out there just like those with designer puppies and so on. You may want to check out the Silkie thread . Glad you joined the BYC flock.

Back
Top Bottom