Hello fellow Chicken Enthusiasts!

WNC_Chick

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2018
Western North Carolina (Sylva)
My husband and I are new to chicken keeping - but I am hooked! My husband isn't as excited (obsessed) as I am.
We live in the mountains of Western NC, on a property of about 5 acres. We started with 6 hens and a coop that were given to us by a friend whose children had no more interest.
Before we could building the much larger fence around the coop to let the ladies free range, our dog killed 2. Then we were down to 4.
Once the fence was built and the ladies were "safe" from predators (and dogs alike), we started letting them free range. It was so exciting to see them roaming around for the first time!
Did I mention that they are all Golden Comets?

Then.....Jan.1 we had our first hawk attack and were down to 3 hens. :(
All of this is a learning experience and chickens are so vulnerable!

This past weekend we purchased 3 pullets and a 1 cockerel to add to the flock. Introductions are going as they say, but crap the pecking order is vicious. I hate it. The one hen that is the sweetest to me....."Carol" is definitely the bully and wants all the newcomers to know that she is Top Lady.

well, that is my story for now......I am sure that I will continually post questions on here. Thank you all for the help/advice!

best,
Kendall

Hi Kendall and welcome to BYC

Experience is the best teacher, and unfortunately losing chickens along the way is almost inevitable :(

Here’s a link to the Articles section - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Hello Kendall and welcome to BYC!! It’s so nice to have you join us! welcome.gif

This video may help with learning how to navigate the new site.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask one of us. :)

Back
Top Bottom