Hello fellow chicken keepers !

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shabana, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello !!

My name is Shabana and I am very new to chicken keeping.
    Currently I have 10 pure breed bantam hens, 3 "big girls" that I rescued, and a small flock of Lemon millefleur sablepoots.

My 2 orpingtons are currently sat on some silkie and andulasian eggs which are due around Aug 17th and as this is my first time raising chicks I'm pretty nervous !

I have uploaded some pics on my profile and will get some more over the next few days :)

On a personal level, I'm a married, mother of 4. We live in a small country village in south yorkshire, England.
    It's lovely to have access to all this information and good advice and I look forward to reading and learning as much as I can:D

Shabana

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Shabana, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! Good luck to you and your chickens!

3. weezilgirl

weezilgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Hi, Shabana: I live in Oklahoma and just have one hen now. I had 4 and they all lived to be 7-8 years old, which is unusual. I have Louise left. She is 7 and has laid one egg a day every day since I got her. She is a leghorn.

I am ordering 7 new chicks. Mostly rare because I have 3 grandchildren and they want "fancy" hens. All of my hens have been very lovable and tame.

I am in awe that you have so many. Do your banties lay? I am totally unfamiliar with them. I do think they are awfully cute.

I also have other pets and I live on a ranch where there are coyotes, wolves, bears, panthers, bobcats, raccoons, possums and, unfortunately, snakes. I killed a water moccasin last week and am still freaked out. It was on my back patio! I have also killed copperheads.

I'm glad you are here. I don't come very often but the people seem nice enough.

Take care, Pat

4. Shabana

Hiya and thank you for the welcome :)

Yes my bantams lay pretty well mostly 3-4 little eggs each a week although I have three hens who have not started laying yet but they can't be far off. They are very loving and are proper little characters. The sablepoots ( boots, flipflop, and slipper )are every other day and are super cute little eggs :)
    My guinea fowl called Guinness lays really well 5 or more a week and you need a sledgehammer to crack the shells hehe !!
    My "big girls" lay every other day but my Leghorn (Lilly) suffered the most from neglect (I rescued them) and she really has gone through the mill. She has just started to lay eggs with a shell and we have got her on the road to recovery thank goodness. She is such a sweetheart and even when she was really poorly she liked to come for a cuddle bless her :)

Predator wise we don't have to deal with half as much as you do. It's pretty much foxes rats and the very odd badger here in England. I don't think I would react bravely if I had to tackle anything like that on my doorstep !!

Best wishes to all
    Shabana

5. Shabana

These are some of my little and big girls, I will get some more asap :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regards
    Shabana

6. Shabana

These are some of my little and big girls, I will get some more asap :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Regards
    Shabana

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Your place looks so nice!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012