Smellyprawn

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 11, 2016
Hi everyone!

I joined BYC about five years ago but never posted anything. I've read a TON though and am very grateful for this community and all the shared information!

I thought it was about time that I actually start posting and can hopefully give back!

I first got into chickens almost six years with my partner, he had a couple barred Rock and white leghorns and then we hatched out some buff Orpingtons and Wheaton ameracaunas. I had a little experience with chickens when I was young, my grandparents and many of my aunts and uncles had them while I was growing up and I loved to help with them. However...I was terrified of them!! 😂
Getting to hatch out my own changed everything, now I've frequently got a chicken on my shoulder and I live to just sit/lay with my birds!

Right now I've got about 30 birds, mostly chickens, 7 ducks, and one guinea fowl! I'm about to cull a bunch of roos thoughs so those numbers will drop again until next spring. I got sooo many roosters this year it is crazy!

I feel like a "breed collector" because there are just so many gorgeous breeds that I just love and want to have and hopefully breed more of.
I have Silver and Golden Laced Wyandottes, Transylvanian Naked Necks, Copper and Blue Marans, Chocolate and Lavender Orpingtons, Icelandics, Light and Buff Brahmas, Standard Cochins, a few different Ameracaunas, and some good ol "barnyard mix". My ducks are Indian Runners and I just love them! They are the funniest of all and I love using their eggs for baking!

We have a small farm with cows, pigs, and dwarf goats, but the birds are my most favourite! I love how I can have so many and they still each have their distinct personalities! They are the funniest animals I know! The funniest is our house chicken "Chichi"! She goes outside during the day but at night she comes and pecks at the door to be let in for night time cuddles before going to sleep in her cage.

I'm an artist and a photographer and I love to take photos of my animals! I'm hoping to share a few here, and if there is anyone who, by some miracle, lives nearby I would love to take photos of your animals too!

My partner and I live in northern BC on a 120 acre farm. We have a rough collie and two great Pyrenees who protect our animals and supply much entertainment. I was a off-road truck driver until I hurt my back and needed surgery about four years ago and haven't been back to work since. These days I focus on the farm and we are working on expanding our garden next year so we can go to market!

Back
Top Bottom