Hello from a Nervous Newbie in Indiana

DeltaKilo

Hatching
Apr 17, 2016
Valparaiso, IN
Hello. I'd better introduce myself because I think we'll be needing help very soon. Deb and David, recently retired (still giddy about it). Now, I have a dozen week old chicks and a half dozen ducklings in huge totes as of yesterday. They have the heat lamps, the thermometer, feeders and waterers, and wood shavings. When we put them all together at first the ducks started pecking the chicks and vise versa so we separated them.

Coop construction starts tomorrow on the old 4x8 utility trailer i found on Craigslist today. (I was thinking it might be nice to be able to move the chicken area to a different spot someday). I realize the coop should've come before the chicks and I blame our granddaughter for the backwards plan but having them does provide a good incentive to get busy fast.

I have not searched the discussions yet but will be looking for an answer to this basic question before we head to Menards. We live in NW Indiana and I was wondering if we should cover the sides and roof with corrugated metal siding or wood and should we insulate? I don't have money to waste on a fancy looking structure but don't want to make a mistake either.
Thank you. I'm glad I found this forum.
Debbie

Welcome to BYC! So glad to have you join us!
Insulation, in my experience, is not needed. I have kept chickens in some pretty wintery climates (ie the mountains of Idaho) and have not had need of insualtion to keep a happy, healthy flock. What you DO need from a coop is a safe, draft free (but WELL ventilated) shelter for the birds to get into and allow their own insulation to do it's job in keeping them warm and comfortable.

welcome-byc.gif
glad you have joined us.

I don't know much about the ducks, but forum discussions suggest you should raise the two flocks separately - especially if you have any male ducks.

Chickens tolerate cold much better than heat. Springs should finally turn up one of these weeks
idunno.gif
. Stay calm - BYC has your back.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Personal choices in your coop design.

Many things will work.

But things to consider, is indeed the cold winter and the hot,
hot summer.

Straight metal siding without insulation, I bet you lose more
birds in summer heat than a few.

I like metal because it's predator proof. That being said, I
like insulation to keep it both warmer, and cooler.

Either way, you need to vent.

Back
Top Bottom