Hello from a New member!

Claire A

Songster
Oct 2, 2019
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

New in the sense that I have just started hatching quail - my silkies failed :(. brought from e-bay, the guy sent them a week apart - lied about not sending them all together. Most of the eggs were infertile and they were actually very delicate and brittle - not smoothe. I have found a reputable person to supply me now and am looking forward to giving it another try.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Six beautiful quail - just hatched. Again from e-bay and although from a decent breeder - had been accidentally sent with the small side up. Given this, 6 from 12 is not too bad.

Did have to deal with one with splayed leg and curled toes. Amazingly, took the advice given here and in 24 hours splayed leg and one foot is cured. had to redo the other foot but it is already walking and holding itself great. Tried to contain him/her away from the others but the brat keeps jumping out to be with them.

The last one to hatch I think was too big for the shell (last to hatch but the biggest of them all). It was born with its head tucked between its legs. Could not walk well with its head curled this way at all. But now with slow degrees, it is beginning to uncurl. Feisty little thing and also managed to jump over the 2-inch box, so it cannot be as bad as it looks and is eating/drinking fine.

It was due to this last problem that I decided to join - lots about wry neck - but after different keywords searches - found threads here that actually do give advice about it and indicate it will eventually fix itself :) So reassuring :D :D

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

HaHa - the eggs ;)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I do competitions with my German Shepherd Milo. Flyball / agility / working trials / heelwork to music. My allotment :)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

New in the sense that I have just started hatching quail - my silkies failed :(. brought from e-bay, the guy sent them a week apart - lied about not sending them all together. Most of the eggs were infertile and they were actually very delicate and brittle - not smoothe. I have found a reputable person to supply me now and am looking forward to giving it another try.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Six beautiful quail - just hatched. Again from e-bay and although from a decent breeder - had been accidentally sent with the small side up. Given this, 6 from 12 is not too bad.

Did have to deal with one with splayed leg and curled toes. Amazingly, took the advice given here and in 24 hours splayed leg and one foot is cured. had to redo the other foot but it is already walking and holding itself great. Tried to contain him/her away from the others but the brat keeps jumping out to be with them.

The last one to hatch I think was too big for the shell (last to hatch but the biggest of them all). It was born with its head tucked between its legs. Could not walk well with its head curled this way at all. But now with slow degrees, it is beginning to uncurl. Feisty little thing and also managed to jump over the 2-inch box, so it cannot be as bad as it looks and is eating/drinking fine.

It was due to this last problem that I decided to join - lots about wry neck - but after different keywords searches - found threads here that actually do give advice about it and indicate it will eventually fix itself :) So reassuring :D :D

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

HaHa - the eggs ;)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I do competitions with my German Shepherd Milo. Flyball / agility / working trials / heelwork to music. My allotment :)
Hi there from Australia! :) Welcome to BYC.

1F573DDB-8163-49EB-8D1A-FDD9FEBBF991.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom