Hello from a new member!

scooter8

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 10, 2014
Hi there, just signed up today. I'm from BC, Canada on Vancouver island. NO snow this year, which is very suprising. I am going to be getting 6-10 chickens in April and I'm looking for some advice on which breeds and how many of which breed to buy. Some names have been thrown out to me like australorps, brahmas, cochins, buff orpintons, american dominiques, and welsummers. I'm just looking for some on advice. I have 2 rabbits as well as a german shepard and a cat. I am also exploring the possibility of getting a rooster. I may want to get some chicks later on once I'm more experienced, but for now it would just be for protection and enjoyment.
Scooter8

Welcome!

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html, is an awesome site. It was the one I used when I was looking to get started.

I applaud you on doing your research first. Recommendations will come once you know what it is you are looking for. A couple of questions get you started...

1. What are your plans for the chickens (showing, pets, food...)
2. How much room do you have for them (whether to get bantams or LF-large fowl)
3. What type of coop do you have (some chickens do not do well in foul weather and some are more hardy)
4. What type of area do you live in? (lots of neighbors or lots of acres)
5. How many eggs are you wanting per year (just a few to incubate or a bunch to sell to neighbors)

images
to BYC!

You also may enjoy our learning center here on BYC for more info....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

JD chicks: I am planning to use them for egg as and pets. I do not intend to kill them. Secondly, I am looking for large foul, I am not interested in purchasing bantams except possibly a bantam rooster. Third, we are planning to convert a 10x5x10 ft barn stall into a coop with an attached run on the outside. It's fully enclosed and waterproof. Fourth, the property is 2.5 acres with neighbours about 100 ft away on both sides it is zoned as an agircultural zone. Lastly, I'm not looking for a specific number of eggs, but we would like a year round supply of eggs for our family of five plus enough to give away to about 10-15 other friends.

If you are planning to try and hatch from fertile eggs, a Bantam rooster with Large Fowl hens isn't going to be successful often. Also a bantam isn't as effective for flock protection as a larger breed roo. In any case any size rooster can sound the alarm if he is aware of trouble , or he may just run and hide - every chick for themselves.

I like Brahmas personally. They are large birds and don't fly well at all. So going over fences is difficult. Mine won't even bother trying. They are one of my most gentle breeds .My one roo is called Babysitter Casanova, he helps with the chicks and always dancing around the hens. However, their egg count is on the lower side.

I would definitely post your above information over in the breeds section. BYCers love to talk about their favorite breeds. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/14/breeds-genetics-showing

Get more opinions. But you are on the right path with knowing exactly what you are wanting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom