Hello from Alberta!

kimmi07

Hatching
May 3, 2015
Hi there, I am newbie to backyard chickens. I am looking at getting a total of 6 hens, 3 different types with two hens of each breed. Have a few ideas but need to have feathered feet or be great in the cold. Going to build a coop next year early spring. Also thinking about hatching from eggs.

Hi Kimmie, welcome to backyard chickens. You may want to post your questions on the Canadian thread " Canadians check-in-here." they would best know what breeds can stand up to your climate.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Alaska Backyard Chickens has a recommended list of chicken breeds for Alaska at http://akchickens.org/getting-started/recommended-breeds/. If these breeds can take Alaska's winters, they should do fine in your winters. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!

It's interesting to have a mixed flock I think, you get the different colors of feathering, eggs and differences in personalities. Have fun selecting your flock. If you have questions, feel free to ask, there are a lot of friendly & knowledgeable members here.

Good luck, it's nice to have you join us!

Thanks! Everyone thinks I am nuts for wanting chickens in a city. I am going to start planning this summer, fall and winter, I am kinda a pre-planner who likes to have everything planned out before doing it so I know I am doing it correctly and for the animals best well being. I want a mixed flock so I can have a basket of coloured eggs. I am going to be doing a raised coop with a run. I am actually thinking of having the coop more in the middle of the run area so I can take full use of my area I think it will be best in.

You'll never find anyone here that thinks having chickens is nuts, lol. Good luck to you!

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. :frow

Back
Top Bottom