Hello from Arizona - Need help on re-introducing an injured chicken to the flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Is she the only hen that is being attacked? Maybe you could rehome her to someone with more docile birds.

Yes, she is the only one right now. I'm afraid if we remove her, then they will find the next hen on the low end of the totem pole! I ordered some of the pinless peepers and we will give that a try. Thanks!

Welcome to BYC: The best way is take her and put her in the crate; and put her in the coop with all the others. That way she is safe and wont get harmed. Let them greet through the create for a few hours but make sure she has some food and water in the crate with her. Then i would try to introduce again and see what happens.I hope this helps

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC: The best way is take her and put her in the crate; and put her in the coop with all the others. That way she is safe and wont get harmed. Let them greet through the create for a few hours but make sure she has some food and water in the crate with her. Then i would try to introduce again and see what happens.I hope this helps

We tried that for about a week and then tried re-introducing her several times. They continued to go after her, so I read to take out the aggressive hens (that would be all of them except her), so we took out the 2 most aggressive hens and isolated them. We put her in with the other 3 and at least 2 of them started going after her. I even tried having her on the opposite side of the fence and they tried getting to her through the fence! So... I have ordered some pinless peepers as several suggested above and they can't get here soon enough. I went out there today and 2 of them were still going after her. I brought her in the house and applied more pine tar. That seems to help temporarily. I hope I get those peepers soon. If I see more injury to her, I will put her back out in the isolation area and have to put the aggressive hens back in with the other mean hens.

Back
Top Bottom