Hello from Australia! I have eggs and not much idea what to do!

So far I have given them lettuce and spinach. I bought some chick starter but then I found out it is medicated, so haven't given it to them. I have tried three produce stores so far and they only have this stuff. There is one more to try tomorrow morning. Hopefully they will have unmedicated stuff.

On the down side, Beaker seems to getting weaker. She is not playing as much as yesterday and snuggles under the lamp a lot. And she seems to be breathing very heavily which worries me the most. :-(
So sorry about your littlest one,
hugs.gif
the fact that they hatched at all is a miracle I believe, From all I have read spinach isn't good for poultry, I tried to look up why but couldn't find it. But hold off on spinach. Also when feeding anything other than their starter they need grit, that's is what they use in their crops to chew their food since they don't have teeth, just sprinkle a bit of grit on the bottom of their brooder and they will eat it as needed. if your using chick feed they will need some kind of niacin supplement, chick feed doesn't have the amount ducklings need. A plain niacin capsule or tablet 100mgs crushed and mixed into their drinking water will give them what they need, or brewers yeast sprinkled onto their feed. What do you plan on doing with these ducklings when they are fully feathered? please don't just release them maybe see if you can find any rehabbers in your area.

Sorry for your loss. Lauckie chick starter is fine for them I raise 100s on it never had problem with it. The other three look great.

Day three and they are starting to mss up their house! No real poo mess yet, but they only started eating lots yesterday, so I am sure that will come soon.

I have shredded lettuce, spinach, mashed banana and chick starter for them.

The banana and spinach are the first to go. I never knew ducklings would love banana so much!

Day three and they are starting to mss up their house! No real poo mess yet, but they only started eating lots yesterday, so I am sure that will come soon.

I have shredded lettuce, spinach, mashed banana and chick starter for them.

The banana and spinach are the first to go. I never knew ducklings would love banana so much!
Great to hear they are eating so good, I couldn't find the link I was looking for about feeding spinach but here is one that's explains why you shouldn't give water fowl spinach.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/331576/please-dont-give-your-geese-spinach

My chickens and ducks love bananas.
smile.png

Thanks for that info. I am going shopping today and have just replaced spinach on my shopping list with kale instead.

Can I rip some grass/clover out of the garden for them? I don't have any dandelion growing in my yard.

The problem with ripping grass and give to them is they end up eating great long bits of it and it kind of knots up in their crops. When they peck growing grass they break lil bits off that their crops can handle. The chick starter is fine and possible the brewers yeast that sumi (I think) suggested although I have never used it sure she will link you to thread that you can get directions. They don't need treats at this age really. Vitamins in water is about all I do extra. I also get them into the sun a couple of hours each day the sun helps them absorb vitamins. But stay with them. As for mess I have an old bath tub to brood ducks its easy to clean I line it with mouse wire (available at hardware by the metre cheap.) They won't be in it long the summer is here they can go out in cage on the lawn in a few weeks.

Well, the novelty of these ducklings has not worn off at all. We are taking them out in the yard for a sun bath and a swim every afternoon and the LOVE it! They go straight for dandelion or flatweed seed heads and just demolish them. They have even caught a couple of flies that were flying past - in mid air. Clever little ducklings! Then when they come inside, they have a snuggle on their bear.

Back
Top Bottom