Hello From Australia!

Luke P

Songster
Jan 3, 2018
Adelaide, South Australia
My Coop
My Coop
AHHH that lovely moment when youre almost finished writing up a lovely big message and the browser thows a hissyfit and you loose it all WOO HOOO :woot:th time to go again :mad:

HI! My name is Luke, i am a 19 year-old part time photographer, full time student pilot and now full time papa duck!

i first got my chickens as a year 8 science project back in 2012. for the project we had to chose something which grows, then measure and record its growth over like 2 or 3 months i think it was... of course most of the kids got something boring like a chili plant, or bamboo... i of course had to be a bit 'different' (not as different as the guy who measured his baby sister...... but different) so after some eventual convincing that it was faaar more ideal to use chickens for the scientific research (dad's a scientist so i think i hit a soft spot :lau) i convinced my parents to let my go buy a couple 1 week old silkies off a nice lady on gumtree. i picked out 2, one black and one white to tell them apart, and named them salt and pepper.
I got full marks for the project AND the teacher was so impressed about how well (over the top) i had done that she got me to print off a copy of the 100odd page report so that she could keep it as an example for future students :plbb

they grew to become lovely hens! such a lovely personality silkies have! salt didnt mind people around but couldnt stand being picked up! pepper was a sook and would do whatever you want! i ended up getting another one (a little bit older) once salt and pep had grown up a bit and were living outside in the coop. i got a larger brown silkie which i named cinnamon. also a lovely nature, much like pepper though she never bonded with salt and pep like they were to eachother. ive attached a pic of the 3 of them playing in the garden: :love

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.37.35 am.png

now for the sad part of the story :hit (which i promise leads to some VERY happy news :celebrate)

lateish in 2016 i was going down to check on the chooks and i find cinnamon had passed away unexpectedly :( i was of course rather upset by this. but as time passed and i saw one of my friends from school had bought a duckling, i think it was a white indian runner... i started thinking about (*cough*totallynotguilttripping*cough*) asking my parents if i could get perhaps a replacement for cinnamon...

yeah, that didnt go down well :barnie

then 2 or so months ago the real pain struck, i go down again to check on the chooks and find pepper standing next to a frail and almost lifeless salt :( its too late to take her to a vet or anything and so i just stayed and comforted her, stroking her head until she passed... that was truly heart breaking :hit

ON A BRIGHTER NOTE pepper is still doing well! cute little fluff ball! acts a bit lonely (fair) and would hardly leave the roost for the first few days after :( so i decided i really best now (*cough*totallynotguilttripping*cough*) :gig:fl ask if i could get pepper a new friend.

while i still LOVE LOVE LOVE silkies to bits!!!! id really like to try something new... and i love the videos on youtube of the people with dogimean ducks :plbb

then SCOOORE i find a post on gumtree which reads 'aylesbury ducklings, expression of interest, due to hatch christmas eve'

MUUUUUUUUUM can i please have a duck? :fl

no

awwwww but theyre a super rare breed :bow

no

awwwww :(

THEN christmas comes around, everything is as christmasy as a 36 degree aussie summer day can be :barnie
we're all sharing around the christmas presents. then we get to the end, all thats left is 2 cards stuffed in the tree.... one adressed to my brother, one addressed to myself... we both open the envelopes to find a card telling us that there are 2, day old ducklings waiting to be picked up
:eek::wee:yesss:
we go for the 1.5h drive to go pick them up, AND THEYRE SOOOO CUUUTEEEE :love i of course had to name mine jemima after the beatrix potter books (gonna be awkard if shes a drake :lau) my brother named his puddles (pffffft non gendered names)

did i mention THEYRE SOOO CUUTEEE

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.37.58 am.png

a week and a half later and they still somewhat follow me around (theyll be in the general area that youre in, and if you leave theyll scream and come to find you), my god they eat and drink and poop so much!!!!! :gig AND THEYVE GROWN SO QUICK

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.37.50 am.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.38.05 am.png

So it turned out the pellets we'd been given by the people we bought them from were mixed poultry starter... and so after about the second day we noticed jemima starting to develop the niacin deficient pigeon toes.... after researching on this lovely forum group we got her her onto some niacin supplements and within the next week s/he's improved so much!!!
Here's a before and after shot!!!:
IMG_6824.PNG IMG_6825.PNG

now to work out when the best time to introduce them to pepper would be... any suggestions would be appreciated :)

Luke P

P.S.
while ive only now decided to actually get an account on here... ive been reading and loving all the help and advice you guys have been giving for the last almost 6 years! thank you all and keep this community alive! :love

Attachments

• IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    538.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.37.35 am.png
    924 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.37.58 am.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.37.58 am.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.37.35 am.png
    924 KB · Views: 1
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.38.05 am.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.38.05 am.png
    993.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Luke, that's a grand introduction, and you have some pretty special parents. Welcome to BYC. My gut says you are going to fit in well and love it here.

ahaha thanks :D yeah, i cant complain about them too much :plbb though i do find their taste in 'allowed pets' odd... guinnea pigs, yabbies, chickens, budgies, ducks, hermit crabs, all been fine.... but NO YOU CANT HAVE A DOG :idunno hehe though with jemima now i certainly cant complain :wee

Hello and welcome to BYC Luke. :frow

When I had new flock members to add to my coop I made a baby area in the coop with chicken wire. To protect the babies while the adults got used to the new additions. It let's them bond without letting the babies get hurt.
It usually too a couple weeks and then also need to make sure there are no he's the youngins can get out through.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom