Hello from Australia :)

HoneyNutmeg

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
Australia
Hello!
My name is Julia, and I have 2 chickens, Honey and Nutmeg.
We think they are both Isa Browns and are free range.
Honey was 3 weeks old when I first got her in 2011, I was volunteering at our local show's animal nursery and someone was selling 'sexed' baby chickens. I used my pocket money and bought her. She grew up with my past dog, Rissa and they got along very well.
By the time we got our next dog, she was around 6-7 months old and pretty big, she let Snoopy know who's boss.
Soon after we got another chicken, Nutmeg, who was over a year old and quite small (compared to Honey!)
Nutmeg doesn't get along with Snoopy, she get's quite scared so we have to bring Snoopy inside if we aren't watching them (Dog & Chooks).
Honey is now over a year old and still laying her daily egg.
We took her to the local show this year (which was Friday & Saturday) and she hung out with the owner's rooster, Harry. He's a small Australorp and very handsome I must say.
He mounted her and I'm pretty sure it was a successful mate, but he tried several times but just couldn't quite get on her (see she's quite large, about the same size as a White Sussex).
At the moment she's laying eggs daily and I hope that they are fertile. Chances are they're not, but I may as well give it a try!
Honey & Nutmeg take turns in sitting on the eggs, they've both become broody. For example, Honey gets off the nest, Nutmeg hops on, then Honey realised Nutmeg stole her spot, and tries to hop back on the nest (sitting on Nutmeg to get her to move!) But eventually Honey gives up and waits till Nutmeg gets off! Vice versa (If that didn't sound to confusing!!)
I've candled the eggs, but my torch doesn't seem bright enough. I'll try tomorrow when the embryo starts to show a bit better (not that I can see it at the moment).
If the eggs don't turn out fertile, I can easily get some fertile ones from a friend.
I'm really looking forward to raising baby chickens. Honey is famous for her talking, ba ba boo ba. It's quite funny when you try and hold a conversation with her. ;)
I've been in love with chickens for years! Some people think I'm mad that I would rather talk to my chickens then go to a friends house, but I guess that's just me.

I finally decided to join the forum after searching up many things about candling, fertile eggs and broodiness.
I hope you see me around the forum. If you have any tips for me I would love to hear them, thank you!

Julia, Nutmeg & Honey.

This is Honey ^^

Honey & Nutmeg (Yes we have guinea pigs :) )

Last edited:
ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Hi and :welcome

Where abouts in Australia are you? I'm in Adelaide, hello! (We have Isa browns as well)
Good luck with raising chicks, that would be awesome if the eggs were fertile.

I hope you find all the info you need here, and enjoy the site. :D

Back
Top Bottom