Hello from Australia

Lyrika

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
Australia
So I've been a mostly lurking member for a year or so now... but I've finally decided to put some more effort into my birds so I thought I should introduce myself.

My name is Kel, I'm from NSW, Australia. I was given a pair of chickens last year, but one was taken by a goanna a few months later so I just have the one now, a brown leghorn. She basically went feral, she just lives on our property and lays eggs wherever she feels like it - usually in the shed, and roosts in the roof. I gave up trying to coop her up, but didn't want to get more chickens until I had a predator proof coop. This is Chook, roosting in the shed roof:

I also got a pair of Japanese Quail a couple of months ago. When the female started laying, I decided to stick 5 eggs into a parrot brooder I have. 3 of them hatched on Christmas eve/Christmas morning! They are absolutely adorable and hatching them out was so exciting. I've got another 21 quail eggs in the incubator, due the day after New Year. I also decided that it's time to get chickens, so I bought 2 dozen fertile eggs from a local breeder. 4 each of Welsummer, Australorp, Light Sussex, Salmon Faverolle, Silver Spangled Hamburg and Barred Plymouth Rock. Can't wait for them to hatch! Here are some of the baby quail, Comet and Blitzen

I am also a wildlife rehabilitator. Mostly I raise wallabies, but I also do possums, gliders and bats. These are the 3 wallabies I am raising currently and one of our bats with her baby.

welcome-byc.gif

Lovely rescues!

Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Really neat collection of animals you are treating, love the bats.

Back
Top Bottom