Hello from Central Florida

NorseDad

Chirping
Dec 3, 2021
West Central Florida
Hello Folks,

My name is Randy, and I am a soon-to-be chicken owner. I’m still making some decisions on coops and such before I pull the trigger.

I am new to keeping chickens, though my father has been raising large flocks on his acreage for about 10 years now. I helped out, but I did more maintenance work like feeding and cleaning than the planning and husbandry.

Right now, I do not have chickens. It has been one of my goals once my wife and I bought our first home. I’ve been reading and watching videos on the topic for a number of years now. Well, the time has come. We bought our first home, and I’m looking to start this spring. I live in a rural county in Florida in an in-town location. The area my house is allows backyard chickens (up to 4 hens, no roosters). I am looking to get some black australorps and focusing on eggs for my family and turning it into something my oldest son and I do together.

I like the idea of becoming more self-sufficient. My wife has big plans for vegetable gardening, and our new property has an orange and lime tree.

Some of my other hobbies include video games, reading, and keeping tarantulas.

My wife and I have been together for 10 years. We have a six-year-old son and a four-month-old son. We have two coonhounds, a ball python, a cockatiel, and I keep 36 different species of tarantulas and scorpions. I work as a child psychologist with the local school district and focus on assessment of students with disabilities. My wife works as a 911 dispatcher for the local sheriff’s office.

I found BYC while looking up questions I had.

We have a bimonthly farm swap. If you are ever in our area on a swap day stop by and say hi. I'm the old lady in the TSC hat. We all love to talk about poultry. Again good luck with your plans and have fun...
TSCCovid.jpg

We have a bimonthly farm swap. If you are ever in our area on a swap day stop by and say hi. I'm the old lady in the TSC hat. We all love to talk about poultry. Again good luck with your plans and have fun...
View attachment 2917309
Definitely possible. I live in Citrus Springs. If you know of anyone selling coops, I'd be interested. I want to avoid the pre-fab ones if I can, but I'm not exactly Bob Villa.

Back
Top Bottom