Hello from Central Illinois!

niki090909

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
Hi all, new to the forum, but only sort of new to chickens. We live out in the country on a few acres. I had a trio of chickens that I ADORED about 6 years ago. (Buff Orphington mixes of some sort I believe) Sadly, they were murdered by what I think was a weasel. It's taken me this many years to even think about chickens again because I was so horrified and upset.

Anyways. A new coop and run has been build and it's just waiting to be occupied. I REALLY want some Jersey Giants, but they're hard to find around here. I prefer the bigger chicken breeds for some reason. Went to a Bird Swap in Kankakee, IL this morning and was very disappointed, nothing good to pick from at all.

Anyways, nice to meet you all, great site!

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Hello Niki! Welcome to BackYard Chickens from Kentucky. Glad to hear you're getting back into having chickens. Good luck and keep searching for your Jersey Giants. You can look in the Buy ~ Sell ~ Trade section of BYC here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/67/buy-sell-trade someone might have them for sell. Also try looking on Craig's List. Another option of course is hatcheries. They are beautiful chickens. We have two here on our farm and just love them. Ours came from a Amish family we're friends with. I know there are Amish communities in IL. You might check with them if any are close.

You pronounce the "s" on Illinois, right? Haha, just kidding. I hope you can rekindle your love for chicken parenting. Welcome back!!!

Hi and :welcome

Aww, sorry to hear about your previous flock. I hope things go well for you this time. JGs are a cool breed. Good luck with finding some! You could have a look in the Buy, sell trade area if you like.

I hope you find any info you need here, and enjoy the site. :D

Back
Top Bottom