Hello from central Illinois.

Cutandfit

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 10, 2014
Champaign County, IL
Hello,
My wife and I have decided to start a small laying flock next spring. It's been 35 years since I raised any chickens. My experiences started back in high school, (1977) when I got a job collecting eggs and other various jobs in a large laying house operation. I can't remember the number of birds but the house was nearly 300 feet long and had four double sided, 3 tier cage banks if I remember correctly. The owners were very progressive, and during my time there they began to build a methane digester for the manure, and added a grading facility to grade their eggs in-house. I learned a lot there. For an FFA project, I bought 50 hens from my employer (hybrid Leghorns) and had a successful operation of my own, until I ultimately graduated and moved out. We now live in the same house where I lived back then. The hen house is still here, but has been gutted out and converted to a tool shed and is no longer suitable for hens so I'm doing my research as to what type of coop we want for 6-8 birds. We're looking at Plymouth Rocks possibly but still researching. This forum is a wealth of information and I certainly need a refresher course.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Have you checked out the coop section - loads and loads of designs and capabilities. Even tractor coops.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of qualities are you looking for in your chickens?

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined the flock!

welcome-byc.gif

So glad you joined us.

Sounds like your past experiences place you a step ahead of many of us….but I do think you will find your small flock a lot of more fun and less work than the large scale flocks.

Talk about things coming to a full circle! How neat that you ended up where you started. Sounds like you want to restart with a small flock and that's the way to go! Welcome to the flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

And welcome back to the world of chickens!

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

Thanks all. We're primarily looking for good layers, good temperament, and ability to weather the winter. We live on 2 acres on in the country and have raccoons, possums, foxes and coyotes as well as hawks. Whatever I build will be very secure, I tend to do things on a grand scale and overbuild things as I'm a metal fabricator by trade. I've seen lots of good examples here. The old house I have here had a removable wire floor with dropping pit and a community nest, and the place where I worked had cages so I have no experience with bedding. One of the first designs I saw when researching this was Carolina Coops Penthouse with the deep bedding so I'm thinking along those lines.

Back
Top Bottom