Hello from central NC

Ncnative

Hatching
Aug 15, 2016
Hi, my wife and I have decided to add a few chickens to our menagerie of 1 horse, 1 pig, and four dogs. We are both in our 50's and live in central NC.

Of course I have a question
1f914.png
It seems we made a fatal error (fatal to some of our chickens). We had chickens in two separate pens, in one we had adults, a Speckled Sussex rooster, two Red Sexlink hens, and 1 Easter Egger hen. In the other we had 9 pullets all about 3/4ths grown. We had expanded the one pen area to about 800 sq ft and decided to mix all the chickens together. We put the 9 pullets in with the 4 adults last night. All seemed well this am however when I went back around 3 pm, four of the 3/4 grown pullets were dead. Three were dead in the outside run the other inside the coop. No noticeable injuries other than quite a few feathers, no blood or guts. I'm sure there was no predators involved. The temperature here today was in the mid-90's with a heat index over 100, we did have a fan running in the coop. We are guessing that maybe the stress of being moved along with the heat and trying to establish a new pecking order may have killed them? Or do you think that the other hens/pullets just attacked them and if so, what is the best way to introduce new chickens to the flock? We have 3 more adult hens that we are hoping to eventually add to the mix.

Ps
All of these chickens have been out "free ranging" together 4 or 5 times for an hour or so without issues.

Greetings from Kansas, ncnative, and
welcome-byc.gif
. Happy you joined us but sorry to hear about your chicken introduction woes. Here is a great link to an article that talks about how to intro new birds to an established flock https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock
You can also just enter 'introducing new chickens' into the BYC search bar and access a ton of threads. Additionally, lots of great info is to be had perusing the Learning Center (brown tab above). Best of like with your birds!
smile.png

So sorry to hear of your loss- the older birds may have also bullied them away from feeder and water - and the stress & heat added to their demise.

Back
Top Bottom