Hello from Downeast Maine

Hello!

I'm new, too, and live in Vermont. I'm brand new to keeping poultry, and still have NO idea what type of coop I can build with my limited carpentry skills (I can use a circular saw and nail gun but that's about it!) that will make it through winter. I'd love to hear about your experiences and what you're doing differently. I am very much learning as I go! So welcome, and I'm very sorry about your chickie's bottom.

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie...
I am very fortunate to have a guy who is a master woodworker...he can build just about anything just by looking at a picture....the first coop we built was modeled after one we saw on a Google Image search for easy to clean coops, This picture is just after construction...there is a hatch on one side for nesting boxes...and a hatch on the other side where we put the food and water.
Coop%20wout%20windows.JPG

Unfortunately, in the winter, we hadn't calculated for the MESS of snow we would get....I had a brilliant idea of lining the outside of the coop with left over brush from November's wreath making adventure...and at first it worked out great, but eventually the winds took over...so Plastic ended up being the best option...the other thing we hadn't accounted for was the snow drifts and how difficult it would be to access the back hatch for food and water refills...and lastly, being new to it ...I was really concerned about keeping the inside of the coop clean...and we had a big challenge with that as well...here are some pics of the winter mess.....Mind you...that this was at the beginning of the winter when the snow was only a foot or so deep...but mid Feb. It was ove 5 foot drifts all around the coop.... (ps if these two images are HUGE I'm sorry...I tried to make them smaller but they keep showing up big)
Winter%20Coop%20Mess%20Front.JPG

Winter%20Coop%20Mess%20Back.JPG

We have now started cosntruction on a 8'x12' coup that will have a walkin storage area and the side where the chickens live will be modeled after this coup we found online:
http://www.livingthecountrylife.com/animals/poultry/chicken-coop/
I think it's Image #5 that shows the inside and how we're planing the setup....
I like the triangular perches that are caged in for easier clean up and to keep the chickens out of the majority of the waste....
Any hoo...
let me know if this was helpful...
& Have a nice day!!
~Jenn

Last edited:
Hi nooby! I'm Wendy and I'm a nooby too. I have a small mixed flock of hens that I never imagined I could love sooo much. I'm looking to add a showgirl pullet to the group if anyone has any ideas. Just lookin for a nice young pet. I live in Maryland (I wish I lived in Maine tho). I look forward to reading all the great info. I thank everyone for sharing what they've learned.

Back
Top Bottom