Hello from Drbyshire, UK

katie1504

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Hello all,

I am new to the forum and new to keeping chickens but my husband isn't. I have recently purchased 6 light sussex hens and 1 cockerel and have also got 8 Wyndotte chicks which are 4 weeks old tomorrow. I am also hoping to put some of my light sussex eggs into hatch on my birthday this month when I get my incubator. It has been so excited setting everything up and learning about chickens and that is why I wanted to join your forums because it has helped me a lot.

Thanks,

Katie

Hi Katie and welcome from another relative newbie to BYC a bit further north from you.

I'm just getting back into keeping chickens and I'm loving it.

Good luck with your incubator. I'll be doing it the natural way, hopefully, as my partner bought me some Silkie cross bantams for my birthday which I hope are going to go broody and sit on eggs from my other hens.

Beware it is terribly addictive. I started with a trio of exchequer leghorns in January and now have 13 hens and 2 cockerels of various breeds. I think they call it "chicken math" on the forum here!

Best wishes

Barbara

Hi
frow.gif

We have plenty of space so not to worried about it becoming addictive. We are penning a corner of a field off soon and putting a pnd in it so we can have ducks as well... One huge poulty paddock! :)

Here is the brooder we built last night... And when it arrives my incubator will sit next to the little red brooding pen on the side!! What does everyone think??

Alright Katie,
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

That is one nice Brooder you all built last-night
highfive.gif

Some people get bit by the poultry but and get it seriously worse then others
and if not put in check can take over a persons entire life but that is why BYC
was created but not as a cure to an addition no, no as the founders discovered
there is no known cure but BYC was created for those addicted to the poultry
could gather and worship others poultry and admire the knowledge of others
on the subject and distributing one's accomplishment's with their poultry so
welcome aboard and let's share photos swap stories and help each other out
lau.gif

Oh ya and have fun at BYC
hugs.gif

The Baby Geese, Ducks, Chickens 2008

New additions 2 March 2014

Bob & Aflack enjoying the noon sun

New Baby's Feb 2014

The EE chicks Feb 2014

Winter lunch crowd

Last night

The Lady's

Feeding time at the Zoo

My Molted Houdan's

The Predator AKA Bob-Cat

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
images

Welcome to BYC!

Looks like you are already to go with the brooding pens! If you need any tips and hints on incubation, we have a nice article in our learning center that should help you if you run into trouble...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-just-21-days-from-egg-to-chicken

And you can also post questions in our Hatching Chicks Forums for more help if you need it....

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

So pull up a roost bar and welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like your poultry addiction is well under way! That is one beautiful brooder be sure to post it in the Brooder section of the Coops https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops
Good luck with your birthday hatch when you get your incubator. That spot should be fine, as long as the temperature down there stays above 60 or whatever your incubator recommends... watch for a cold spot from the wall.

Back
Top Bottom