1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from England with a concern about a lonely chook.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by littleluna89, Dec 14, 2013.

1. littleluna89

littleluna89 New Egg

Dec 14, 2013
    We recently (within the past month) inherited two bantams from a friend, they're about three years old and to our knowledge were perfectly happy (though ate entirely corn and mealworms?!)

Tibs was near the end of her moult at the time, she has since finished, looks luscious, and has settled in nicely, and seems to be very patient about the fact that she's not getting as much free range time as she's used to so long as she occasionally gets a handful of mealworms. She was initially unimpressed by layers pellets, but we offered her layers mash and she's wolfing it down.

Ziru however (who has always been on the small side) started her moult later, and she was a little shyer. She got greasy looking, and kind of withdrawn, but we were advised by a vet that this could happen with a moult.

Ziru died this morning. We buried her in a corner of the garden, and set Tibs out on a bit of free ranged fun whilst we stripped out, scrubbed out, disinfected, mite powdered and everything else we could think of the house, Tibs is now back in the run and seems no worse for ware (though my paranoia meant that we mite powdered her in case it wasn't just a combination of too much stress during her moult that saw to Ziru)

I am concerned in this weather about Tibs getting cold, we had put a piece of excess carpet over their house in an attempt to insulate it a bit more, will the house need more insulating than this to keep a single chook warm now she can't huddle for warmth?

I am worried about Tibs getting lonely and wanted some advice on when would be the best time to introduce some new chooks, I obviously want to wait a while and keep a very close eye on Tibs to ensure she stays in good health before I bring new chooks in and risk making them unwell if she's carrying something we don't know about, and I know that any new chooks would need to be quarantined for 2 to 4 weeks to ensure they're not carrying anything and that they should then be slowly introduced to our existing chook. We had been looking at getting a new coop with a substantially bigger run space, so we were thinking we should put the new chooks in that one, and introduce Tibs to them, is that a wise decision of should it be the other way around? What else would I need to be aware of?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Tibs should be o.k. and warm enough by herself, as long as her coop is dry and weather proof. Your ideas and thoughts on getting a companion for your lone hen sounds fine. It would be better to do it asap, but I understand your concerns, not knowing what killed Ziru. When you feel ready, get one or two new hens and keep them quarantined for awhile, dust them for mites and deworm them as a precaution as well. (Learned that lesson the hard way.) Then when you're ready to introduce them keep them separated, but within sight of Tibs for a day or 2, so she can get to know them before letting them mingle. This may also be a good time to introduce them to the new coop and run. Best of luck!

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with Sumi plus if you get the new coop/ run and put them there together - there shouldn't be any territorial battles, as it is new ground to everyone.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC - Sumi and drumstickdiva give good advice. Personally I would wait until spring to add new birds.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Sorry about Ziru, hope Tibs stays well.

7. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

A lonely chicken is an unhappy, insecure chicken. Get her some company.

Welcome to BYC.

8. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I agree with the above advice, good luck to you.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by