Hello from Everett, Washington

BirdLady14

Chirping
Apr 17, 2014
Sierra Vista, AZ
Hello!

We purchased our first 3 chicks on April 9th and picked up another 2 today to round out the flock. I've owned parrots since I was 10 so I'm familiar with birds but have never had chickens. All I can say is when babies are in the house, NOTHING gets done! They are SO cute! :) So we started with a nice mixed flock: Rhode Island Red, Cuckoo Maran, Plymouth Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, and Silver Laced Wyandotte. I'm very appreciative of this site as I've used it to pick my birds. Now we get to have fun figuring out what kind of coop we want to build. I look forward to learning from all of you!

Welcome, fellow Washingtonian, and congratulations on purchasing your first chickens! I think that they are the most wonderful pets. It sounds like you have a great little mixed flock. I have a couple of cuckoo marans myself- they lay the most gorgeous chocolate colored eggs! Good luck to you on your chicken expedition. May you fall in love with your birds and your birds be healthy and vigorous!

Absolutely!
big_smile.png
I started out with a pair about five years (maybe six) with my family and now we have over 100. Just keep an eye out on your other half during trips to feed stores because mine started coming home with turkeys, brahmas, and adopted layer hens.
lau.gif

100 is quite a flock! I'm quietly calling our little flock the gateway birds. Gateway to a more rural property, ha! Yes, funny you should say that, he already mentioned trolling Craig's List for folks that want to get rid of their pullets/young hens. I say...hold your horses, let's get these five set up and laying first!!
big_smile.png

See? It's already beginning!
lau.gif
Soon there will be private calls to hatcheries and suggestions of a romantic drive... With convenient stops for picking up chickens that had been secretly prearranged. Haha! The "Gateway birds" - very cute! My other half and I sought refuge from the west side of the state a half decade ago to expand our flock, so it's not too crazy of an idea!

images

Peep says, "Welcome to BYC"!

Yes, now you can have an inside flock AND an outside flock! And I know how it is...Chick TV! The house gets dirtier and dirtier as you stand and stare into the brooder. LOL If you need any tips or hints on raising your new brood, stop by our learning center here on BYC for lots of good reads on all the aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

We also have a caged bird section here on BYC also if you want to share pics or talk about your wonderful parrots...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/57/caged-birds-finches-canaries-cockatiels-parrots-etc

So glad you could join our community and welcome to our flock!

Thanks for the warm welcome Kelsie2290 and TwoCrows!

TwoCrows, yep, I think the brooder is cleaner than the house right now, lol! Thanks for showing me around. There is definitely tons of information here. Our parrots are sort of taking a back seat due to the chicks and they're not very happy about it either.

MountainSeramas, If the romantic chicken getaways actually starts happening here, I'll definitely look you up for a good laugh about it! Wow, five years ago you were a city slicker and 2 chickens have changed your lives. How exciting! You're giving me lots of hope on my gateway theory!
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom