Hello from Florida

Dieseltke

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Pensacola
Hello everyone. I have lurked around here for a while now and figured I would post an intro.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I have had chickens for about 5 years now. My wife's uncle has had chickens for as long as I've known him. Every time we go to their house, I like to go visit them, collect eggs, feed them, and just watch them. I've always thought they were really neat. One day I got a bug and decided I would build a coop and get some chickens. So we spent the weekend building. My wife knows someone who has a farm and they gave us some of their chickens. I've had them off and on since. Off was when we had a racoon come and take what he wanted after battling with him for a year. He finally won. But I have fixed those issues.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

Right now I have 10 but I'm going to be downsizing to about 5. I'm helping my father-in-law build a coop, and when it's done, he will take a couple of mine.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have 3 Black sex-link, 1 Barred Rock, 3 Gold sex-link, and 3 leghorns.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

BYC has been the best place to find ANY kind of chicken related information over the years. Every time I am searching for something, I will always end up here and this is where I find what I am looking for. So eventually I stopped looking around and just come here for info. And I follow on facebook, which is fun too.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Right now my main hobbies are spending time on the river with my family (tubing, kayaking, grilling out, camping), boating, and working out. I used to be into martial arts, but I tore my ACL and meniscus tendon doing full contact stick fighting. I have had to retire my martial arts hobby. I reload my own ammo, and like to shoot (pistol, rifle, shotgun). I read a lot too.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am married with two kids. Both boys, one 11 and the other 8. We have two dogs, both rescued from the shelter. One is a pit bull mix, and the other is some kind of bird dog(as my wife says). I don't have cable, but do love Alabama football. My college almamater is getting a football team (University of West Florida) so I'm also looking forward to cheering on a football team from a school I actually went to! I look forward to any comments that anyone may have, good or bad. I have thick skin, I worked in a prison for 7 years. I still work for the state, but in management. I love the water and afternoon thunderstorms.

Welcome to Backyard chickens, glad you joined the flock
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom