Hello from Fruita, Co.

flyberry

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Fruita, co.
Well I've wanted chickens in our backyard since we moved here four years ago . My wife had a joke that we had to get married first. And so... all of these great things happened! The driver of our work truck fell asleep last year and I broke my back in the accident.... We were married in the hospital. I'm in a chair now but starting to get back to doing the things I love. We've built raised beds all around our yard for our gardens and I've been putting a coop together( will post pictures). I didn't do any research before I built the coop or had any idea what breed of chickens I was looking for. Lol. So of course there is a few things I would like to change now. Hey I was just looking forward to fresh eggs and some great composters. But now alll said the chicks are very interesting and I'm sure they will add some entertainment to our backyard. I have two NH reds and three mystery chicks our children picked out.( I'm afraid a couple of them are broilers and we can't eat the kids' chickens) Chickens have been in my family while growing up but I am a Newbie. Any local advice about diseases , keeping the chickens cool in the summer, a good feed or any hints and tricks would be much appreciated

images

Welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry about your back! That must have been a big adjustment on your life after that. But it sounds like you have the strength to continue on and what better to do that with chickens!

You might like to start in our learning center here on BYC as there are lots of great articles on housing your flock, keeping them safe from predators, keeping them cool in the summer and healthy as well...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

You can also chat with others in your state thread as to how they deal with your local weather, predators and anything else that is relevant to your area...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/68894/colorado

I wish all the best in life and all your adventures! If you have any specific questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock!

Welcome to our flock! You will find oodles of info. under the learning tab, I strongly urge you to read it. As for your coop - I think you are one of many (myself included) who would like to add/ do different/change your design - however, generally the chickens' don't care about design!
smile.png
The girls will certainly add entertainment to your life - they are also great psychotherapy. I have more intelligent talks with my chickens than I do with many people!
gig.gif
So - enjoy and beware of chicken math!
smile.png

Chickens can be extremely intelligent and as Boskelli mentioned, more fun to talk to than humans sometimes!!
lol.png

Welcome! Hi I live in Colorado too, on the plains southeast of Denver area. This is our first year with chickens and I am really enjoying them. Also survived a broken back - coming up 11 years now. Recovery was a year, had extensive surgery to save my life from it. But I am healthy and relatively pain free now! I sometimes think fractured spine is better outcome than persons with the long term chronic problems. Enjoy your chickens! I am loving them.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 everybody winds up with stuff they wish they had done differently, there are entire threads on it.
You could post pictures in the What Breed forum for help in figuring out what your mystery chicks are, https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this if you have cornish x meat birds that you want to keep as pets rather than process them, they should be on a restricted diet etc pretty soon to give them the best chance.
There are some nice threads about keeping chickens cool in summer heat, ie https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/788391/keeping-chickens-cool-in-summer-heat
Hope your back continues to improve.

welcome-byc.gif
Cornish x meat breeds are programmed to growth very fast and be processed early. If you keep the amount of feed down somewhat and feed 12 hours on and 12 off, you may be able to extend their life. Also move the feed farther away so they have to exercise to get some.

Their explosive growth quickly overtaxes their organs so is not slaughtered they usually die young regardless. Not the best examples for pets. Are your children young enough that you could trade the meat birds for some other breed?

Welcome! Hi I live in Colorado too, on the plains southeast of Denver area.  This is our first year with chickens and I am really enjoying them.  Also survived a broken back - coming up 11 years now.  Recovery was a year, had extensive surgery to save my life from it.  But I am healthy and relatively pain free now! I sometimes think fractured spine is better outcome than persons with the long term chronic problems.  Enjoy your chickens!  I am loving them.

Back
Top Bottom