Hello from Germany

Pics

MotherofOrpies

Crowing
Dec 31, 2020
Germany
Hi there, I have been a chicken owner since 2012, I have been reading BYC way before that, I grew up on a farm in Canada, but the only chickens we had were (in my mind back then) ugly white meat chicken, which my father beheaded and just pushed into our hands to pluck and clean them ...
We also had a pair of bantam chickens, but since we didn´t really know about chickens, the rooster had a very bad case of scaly feet and the hen was killed by our terrier, which usually was the scourge of any mice or rats ( an occasional rabbit or squirrel were also victims ) . She was broody ( we didn´t know) and had hidden inside a hole, our dog had sniffed her out at once, and that was her end :( , then we got the lonely rooster a normal sized hen, she terrorized him into his early end, and we gave back the hen to her former owner.
When I finally had a home of my own, and the 4 kids no longer needed someone to help them with most of their stuff, a neighbour introduced me to his Silkies , that was when I started to get the Chicken bug, and it hasn´t left me since...
I did try to get into breeding Orpington chickens, but had no luck, so far, they are, compared to the rest of the chickens running around in my gardden a kind of delicate breed. Hubby got me a pair this christmas, 3. time lucky, I hope so, if not, I am done trying to breed Orpingtons !

Hi there, I have been a chicken owner since 2012, I have been reading BYC way before that, I grew up on a farm in Canada, but the only chickens we had were (in my mind back then) ugly white meat chicken, which my father beheaded and just pushed into our hands to pluck and clean them ...
We also had a pair of bantam chickens, but since we didn´t really know about chickens, the rooster had a very bad case of scaly feet and the hen was killed by our terrier, which usually was the scourge of any mice or rats ( an occasional rabbit or squirrel were also victims ) . She was broody ( we didn´t know) and had hidden inside a hole, our dog had sniffed her out at once, and that was her end :( , then we got the lonely rooster a normal sized hen, she terrorized him into his early end, and we gave back the hen to her former owner.
When I finally had a home of my own, and the 4 kids no longer needed someone to help them with most of their stuff, a neighbour introduced me to his Silkies , that was when I started to get the Chicken bug, and it hasn´t left me since...
I did try to get into breeding Orpington chickens, but had no luck, so far, they are, compared to the rest of the chickens running around in my gardden a kind of delicate breed. Hubby got me a pair this christmas, 3. time lucky, I hope so, if not, I am done trying to breed Orpingtons !
20201204_10372515.jpg

I can easily relate to growing up with a dad who beheaded chickens -- my cousins thought it was the greatest fun to then throw the heads at their younger, much smaller cousin. Maybe that's why NONE of my chickens are meat breeds!!

Good luck with your Orpies, and welcome to BYC! I'm sure someone here can offer good advice on successfully breeding your Christmas beauties.

Back
Top Bottom