Hello from Greenfield Center New York!

Jim G-C

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Greenfield Center, New York
My wife and I moved out into the country for the first time last spring. We are big city kids that grew to appreciate urban gardening and when we were looking for a ouse in our new town last year we fell in love with an 1850 farmhouse on 3.5 acres with a big barn and chicken coop. The yard had been used as a motorcycle race track for the previous owners kids so my first job last year was to clean up the yard and add compost to have our first garden. This year I am going all out with 3 seasons of all the produce we like and I hope to add a greenhouse next year to lengthen the seasons.

Our town has very sandy soil and my dream farm will make its own top soil with the help of goats, pigs, and chickens! My wife has not been quite so excited about animals (she knows she will be sad if there is a predator) but last week she gave in and we have 4 red star hens from one of our farmer friends! Maybe next year on the goats....

We've had them for 4 days and their eggs are delicious! They are looking forward to free ranging this weekend for the first time - I can tell because they have started running for the door when I feed them! They seem happy - they were relatively wild at our friends farm and they are already letting me pet them although two of them whimper to go out.

This is a great site and thank you!

Jim Gupta-Carlson

Hello and :welcome

Sounds like you have big plans for your property. Good luck! I hope you can reach your goal! :D
We have red stars too, and I think the whimpering is a part of their personality. We've got one loudmouth you can hear from the other end of the garden. :p

I hope you continue to enjoy the site. See you round. :frow

Welcome!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom