Hello from Harrow, England

Melbourne12

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Hi! We're completely new to keeping chickens, so this is our new project. We're planning to keep a few dual-purpose chickens, perhaps Light Sussex or the rarer Ixworth.

We're located in Harrow, on the northwest edge of suburban London. After reading as much as we could, including lurking on BYC of course, we've taken the plunge and bought a secondhand run and henhouse. A description and pictures of what we bought are on our blog here http://johnnorman.wordpress.com/2011/06/26/coop-jacques/

Since
we wrote that we're thinking perhaps it would be better to keep the birds on our allotment (the UK term for a community garden) which we rent from the local municipality. It's very close by so it wouldn't be a hardship to go there to attend to the chickens. We might even get a bit more gardening done!

Also if we let the hens free range - kept to our plot by an electric fence - perhaps they could weed the beds for us at the end of the season and before planting in the spring.

Either way, we're looking forward to it!

welcome-byc.gif
from NW Washington State
frow.gif
A ton of helpful information here, and just as many friendly people! Cheers!

Welcome to the BYC! Your pen and coop look great. Please post some pictures of your chickens when you get them. I've never heard of an Ixworth.
I vacationed in England (mostly London) last year and I LOVED it and miss it a lot. People are so nice. Cheers!

Welcome to BYC from Louisiana,..nice blog and pictures!,.. not to be discouraging but I want to warn you,.. they will probably dig up your garden if allowed in there,.. read more about chickens and gardens here on BYC,.and everything else poultry related for that matter!

.I let mine in the garden after the harvest,.. it's like candyland for them,.

Back
Top Bottom