1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello From Hesperia!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by PoultryVines, Dec 31, 2014.

1. PoultryVines

PoultryVines Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2014
    Hesperia, Ca
    My husband and I have recently added chickens to our list of homestead hobbies. We also garden and have a small vineyard. We bought 3 chicks from our local feed store and kept them in the house until they were big enough to go out into the little chicken tractor i had picked up at OSH, which was intended to be more yard art than anything else. We quickly realized that they would not last long and built a coop but did not get it finished before the neighbors dog got in and got all 3. Needless to say, the coop was made 'predator proof' and the neighbor replaced them with 4 juveniles, one turned out to be a rooster, so now we are back to 3. We have 2 Plymouth Rocks and the other i am not sure but the closest picture i have found is a Sicilian Buttercup. We expected them to begin laying a couple of weeks ago. My sister read that hens may hold their eggs for fertilization when a rooster is around? We just got rid of him 2 days ago so maybe soon!!!!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I'm terribly sorry about your losses and rooster![​IMG]

As long as the male had enough to mate with your hens, then yes, the hens will probably be fertile for at least two weeks. But it depends on their age.

Happy New Year!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

4. Orpington Crazy

Orpington Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    Kelowna BC Canada
    Sorry for your loss and welcome to BYC. A hen can hold sperm for about two weeks and will use it to fertilize any eggs she lays. How old are your hens?

Have a happy New Year
    Alyssa

5. PoultryVines

PoultryVines Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2014
    Hesperia, Ca
    We got them from a relative of the neighbor who's dog got the first ones. With the language barrier it was difficult to tell exactly how old they were. Our best guess is that they are just at 6 months. The rooster had just begun crowing last week.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry for your losses. Good luck establishing your new flock and welcome to ours!

1 person likes this.
  7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

Sorry for your losses!

1 person likes this.
  9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Sorry for your losses :hugs

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Well it was nice that the neighbor made restitution - most people do not. Hope he has done something about his dog running loose. The coops and predator sections should have advice about securing coop/runs. Dogs (generally house pets or neighbor's dogs running loose) are close to the top predators of chickens. I think only raccoons kill more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by