Hello from Idaho!!

:welcome
@Marsfran25 - A big welcome to you. Maybe you can find some good information/help over in the Raising Baby Chicks section?

welcomeface.png

This is my first time having chicks from a hatchery. Been a while since I've had chickens besides... Anyway, I ordered six and they threw in a freebie. one true blue whiting arrived pretty weak and did not make it till the next morning, the other true blue whiting never gatjerd steam and has continued to decline and I am trying to eye dropper feed it, not much luck... And today a third chick...a black Jersey Giants sat under the brooder light and is now doing gasping breathing... Am I doing something wrong!
I've tried just about everything I can think of. Sugar water, honey water, etc... Even scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, chick starter mixed with the electrolyte water solution all to no avail, any other suggestions? The other three chicks are all doing well. And they also sent a freebie which I'm pretty sure is a rooster and it's looking real perky also.

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Shipping is hard on chicks. Shipping in weather extremes is harder. It can kill them within the first 3 days.
Good to know, I lost my second one today and a third one is real droopy... I'm not sure I'm cut out to raise babies that need to be shipped. I've gotten up every couple of hours the last two nights in a row for eyedropper feeding for the laggers...

Back
Top Bottom