Hello from Idaho

BettyJ

Hatching
Mar 31, 2015
My husband and I got 3 Sumatras last summer and are looking to expand our flock as we enjoy the girls personalities immensely not to mention the great eggs!

We are hoping to add a few turkeys as well this year and when we get more land down the road we really want to get some of the at risk Heritage breeds to raise. Right now the proximity to neighbors keeps us from having a Rooster. I am sure I'll have a ton of questions along the way :)

Hi Betty!
welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined our flock!! Please feel free to ask any questions you might have...We are here to help!!! Good luck with your chickens!!!
ya.gif

Hello, and welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

Sumatras are beautiful chickens. Good luck with your birds!

Thank you for the warm welcome :) Yes the girls are lovely! We are finalizing our list for the new additions tonight - hoping to add some Buff Orpingtons, Black Austrlop, Araucana, Sliver Laced Wyandotte and Light Brahama. And hubby wants a few turkeys and since we have a large pen we can set up for them to range from during the day once large enough to be safe I'm good with it.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I currently have 25 hens and no rooster, and I get loads of eggs without all the aggression, fighting, biting and plucking of feathers, crowing in the middle of the night, feeding of unproductive mouths, drop off in egg production, and over-breeding and battering of hens that goes along with having roosters (especially too many) so I wouldn't be too sad about not being able to have a rooster. My hens are stress free and enjoying life without a rooster and yours will be too. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. Good luck with your hens.

Back
Top Bottom