Hello from Indiana!

mom2mny

Hatching
8 Years
May 19, 2011
I live in Indiana. We have decided to buy some chickens for eggs. We are a family of 9. We're trying to figure out what kind of chickens to buy. We have 7 kids, dogs, ponies, and pigs. I don't want the chickens to be too nervous or flighty.
Would RIR be good for our cold winters?
I'm thinking about getting maybe 6 to start out. Is that a good number of chickens to begin with? Is it better to start out with chicks or buy adults?

Thanks for all of your expertise and advice :)

Hello and :welcome

Wow, what a big family! Buff orpingtons are good with kids (they're very friendly) and do pretty well against the cold. RIRs are good layer though, as well as sex links if you just want the eggs.
Some say it's better to raise the chickens from when they're very young, because then they can grow up used to people, they will be more comfortable with being around you later on. :)

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site :D

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Hi! Whe in IN are you? I'm in Bargersville. :). I have read that RIR are cold-hardy because of their thick feathers - they are quiet, docile, and good layers. They lay medium-sized brown eggs. Same with Plymouth Rocks. I'm starting with mixed ("hybrid") chickens that are a combo of those two. Personally, I don't want to start with a purebred, but if you do there are alot of good breeds that are cold-hardy.

Back
Top Bottom