Hello from iowa

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Dalubb, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Dalubb

Dalubb New Egg

Jan 7, 2015
    Hello my name is Dallas I live in north Iowa we just picked up our first chicks Monday from Murray McMurray Hatchery. We are very excited about the whole experience and very glad to have BYC as a resource. After the first night I noticed my chicks with pasty butt and lucky from reading all the info on this website I was able to identify what it was and what to do about it. I saw a post that hard boiled eggs helps with this problem. I already had a some hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator so I broke one up and put it in the brooder, the chicks loved it and it was gone in no time. Since giving them the egg I haven't noticed anymore pasty butt and am thankful for the help. Should I continue to give my chicks eggs once a day or so? Thanks for all the knowledge on here and glad to be part of the group.[​IMG] Gunner was very curious what all the chirping was[​IMG] The chicks arnt quite comfortable with us yet but get a brave once in awhile that has to come check out what's going on [​IMG] The brown one is our rooster he is a Red Rock then we have 5 golden wynodottes 5 golden champines and 5 barred rocks also McMurray throw in a free rare exotic and can't wait to find out what it is!

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC! That's so cool that you're from Iowa, a lot of my distant relatives live in Iowa and I've always wanted to go.

If you are getting good results with the egg than I would keep it up unless you notice new problems that the eggs cause. But I don't think that'd happen

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Hi Dallas, nice to meet you. Glad you joined the flock [​IMG]

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Love your pics! Your chicks are very cute. Raising chicks is a fantastic experience some thing I enjoy very much. It gives you a real sense of achievement when you get them to adulthood.

Wishing you the very best of luck and be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy BYC :frow

5. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi Dallas, welcome to BYC!

I was born in IA and still have relatives scattered about the state. You may be interested in making contact with other IA members. If so, you can find them here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

So you were able to pick up your birds direct at Murray McMurray's? We got our little girl's from them last year through the mail but I've never been to their actual facility. That must have been interesting!

Once your little ones get a few weeks older (5-6 weeks), you can post a picture to find out what breed it is here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Nice to have you join us and enjoy those chicks!

6. Dalubb

Dalubb New Egg

Jan 7, 2015
    Thanks for the welcomes there will be more pictures to come of our adventure, still waiting for this frigid weather to pass (-15 when I got up today) so we can finish setting up their coop.

7. Dalubb

Dalubb New Egg

Jan 7, 2015
    Oh and yes any one can pick-up from McMurray but they have a tight window something like 8AM till 11AM I didn't actually get to see the hatchery I had to work but my wife did she said she could hardly tell there was any animals there is was very clean and didnt even smell.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  8. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Cool! [​IMG] We've been very pleased with our MM girls. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we do.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by