Hello from Ireland.

RachaelR32

Chirping
Dec 30, 2015
Hi,

I'm living in the West of Ireland. I got 3 chickens in July this year. 2 have yet to start laying and the 3rd has gone broody. I'm currently trying to modify my set up for the broody to sit.

Welcome! This is a great site full of helpful people. When you get a chance check out the learning center, it is full of good information.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
What kind of set up do you have?

Thanks, I'll take a look. I've been reading for a few months, but thought I'd get an account now so I can comment.

I've got 3 girls - brahma's. I built my own coop and covered run and they seem happy with it. During the summer they were out in a chicken tractor, but it's too wet and muddy for that at the moment.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Have you given your broody hen fertile eggs to sit on? If not or you do not want chicks you may want to break her from being broody. It sure is wet and muddy and the moment, I'm over in England and it's just as bad here. Seem to get a little dry weather only for the rain to start again.

Good luck with your girls in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Have you given your broody hen fertile eggs to sit on? If not or you do not want chicks you may want to break her from being broody. It sure is wet and muddy and the moment, I'm over in England and it's just as bad here. Seem to get a little dry weather only for the rain to start again.

Good luck with your girls in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

Hello!

I've spent the past 2 days sectioning off part of my covered run for the broody. Finished up by torchlight this evening and popped her in the nest box down there. If she's settled in the morning I've got some eggs off a local old farmer. All sorts of colour eggs. Blues, chocolate brown, browns, whites. Will see if she hatches any of them and what I end up with.

Sounds like it's going to be interesting to see what she hatches with the variety of egg colours you have. Nothing quite like seeing a broody with her chicks. I have mainly polish which are a breed not known for being broody. But one of my frizzle hens decided to have a go last summer and she did a fab job and hatched 4 chicks off. Unfortunately 3 of the 4 were boys. It was fabulous seeing it done the natural way as I'm a incubator hatcher.

Good luck to you and your hen :D

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I visited Ireland for our 37th wedding anniversary and loved your beautiful countryside. We're hoping to take our granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) for a visit to Ireland within the next few years. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif

Good luck with your broody hatching some chicks for you!

Back
Top Bottom