Hello from Ireland.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RachaelR32, Dec 30, 2015.

1. RachaelR32

RachaelR32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2015
    Hi,

I'm living in the West of Ireland. I got 3 chickens in July this year. 2 have yet to start laying and the 3rd has gone broody. I'm currently trying to modify my set up for the broody to sit.

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to byc - good luck with everything.

Ct

4. RachaelR32

Dec 30, 2015

Thanks, I'll take a look. I've been reading for a few months, but thought I'd get an account now so I can comment.

I've got 3 girls - brahma's. I built my own coop and covered run and they seem happy with it. During the summer they were out in a chicken tractor, but it's too wet and muddy for that at the moment.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Have you given your broody hen fertile eggs to sit on? If not or you do not want chicks you may want to break her from being broody. It sure is wet and muddy and the moment, I'm over in England and it's just as bad here. Seem to get a little dry weather only for the rain to start again.

Good luck with your girls in the future and enjoy BYC :frow

6. RachaelR32

Dec 30, 2015

Hello!

I've spent the past 2 days sectioning off part of my covered run for the broody. Finished up by torchlight this evening and popped her in the nest box down there. If she's settled in the morning I've got some eggs off a local old farmer. All sorts of colour eggs. Blues, chocolate brown, browns, whites. Will see if she hatches any of them and what I end up with.

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Sounds like it's going to be interesting to see what she hatches with the variety of egg colours you have. Nothing quite like seeing a broody with her chicks. I have mainly polish which are a breed not known for being broody. But one of my frizzle hens decided to have a go last summer and she did a fab job and hatched 4 chicks off. Unfortunately 3 of the 4 were boys. It was fabulous seeing it done the natural way as I'm a incubator hatcher.

Good luck to you and your hen :D

Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I visited Ireland for our 37th wedding anniversary and loved your beautiful countryside. We're hoping to take our granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) for a visit to Ireland within the next few years. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

1 person likes this.
  9. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Good luck with your broody hatching some chicks for you!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by